Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Default How do i fade out on pro tools?!

I'm having trouble fading out...
Do i need an add-on or something?

How do i go about fading out something.

Thanks
Lloyd.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: How do i fade out on pro tools?!

Depends on the specific application...

To do a simple fade on the entire mix as a song ends, you have two basic options...

One would be to set the automation on the Master Fader to "auto write" and then play the song toward the end, and then lower the fader when and how quickly you want. Hit stop, and play it back to see if it is good. Undo to try again and clear previous run, or, goto the other way below, and instead of creating form scratch, edit what you have...

Second would be to simply goto the Edit window, be sure you have a Master Fader showing for the Main out (I am assuming stereo, although it really does not matter), and then change the track view for that Master Fader to show Volume. Decide where you want the fade to start, and, using the pencil tool (line mode), click at the start of where you want the fade out, and then drag to the lowest point (-infinite dB will show, but with infinity sign instead of the word), and let go. Yoou now have a linear fade out. You can edit it with the freehand pencil tool if you like.

More advanced, and more time consuming, would be to bounce or render your mix, bring it back in, or into a new session (possibly to also do other mastering type stuff), and then use the Fade tool to create the type of fade out you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.