Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Matrox Announces TV Output support 4 Pro Tools

Link 2 PressRelease
Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Matrox Announces TV Output support 4 Pro Tools

That's cool, however I can't make it work.
Downloaded the latest drivers for Parhelia APVe, configured as I have video from Windows Media Player and QickTime player, but what else is needed to set in order to get video from ProTools through TV-OUT of Parhelia ?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 AM

Wow, that sounds promising. Although me and a few others using the P serie (Parhelia or P750 like me) already found a way to make it work. I hope with new drivers release the issues with QT 6.3 and hiding the preview window at the bottom of the screen will be fixed.

I'll check that out.

L.G.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 AM

how did you manage to use the "P" series ?? am intrested

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 12-22-2006, 01:36 AM

Well...it's been a bit of trial and error. I guess when I had the idea of putting one in my PTLE system almost nobody ever tried. I think I've been the guinea pig for this. A few other users joined me along the way by using the same card.
Anyway...the card started working within Pro Tools after we came to the conclusion that there was something that didn't work with the video overlay in Quick Time. You had to drag the preview window and hide it at the bottom of the screen to kick the overlay into motion. Also, you have to use a particular version of QT (6.3) which was the only one that made the trick usable (don't ask me why). Microsoft .NET Framework had to be updated to 1.1 at least and DirectX to 9, several settings have to be made in QT and Matrox Power Desk. Very important is the codec used in the video file. DV works best, picture qulity is great and the video automatically jumps out from the video vindow to the external monitor. Others may work (like .AVI or .Mpeg2) but with inconsistent results.
In the end, I sent a message on the Matrox forum asking if this new release will take the P serie into account...but so far no answer...

We'll see...

L.G.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM

I'm one of the guys who made the APVe work with QT6.3, etc - with great help from Gerax.

I upgraded to PT7.3 and it requires QT7, so: I downloaded the new Matrox driver, upgraded Microsoft.NET framework to 2.0 (with SP1 Patch) and upgraded QT to version 7.1.3, and so far so good.

I've only tested a few old sessions, but used DV, cinepak and H263 codecs and it works great - in fact I think it's even better video quality and smoother viewing overall.

And, no, Gerax - you don't need to hide the video window anymore! (at least with the old sessions I've tried)

HOpe this helps,

Kevin
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 AM

WOW that's great!!!! So it finally works the way we wanted it to! Now I can say that the trouble we had was worth it, I'm really proud of it. I'm also really gald I was handy in setting up your sistem.
I've downloaded the driver, I'll install it ASAP and give it a go, I hope it works smooth with the P750 too!

L.G.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 AM

Be sure to let us know your results Gerax. I too had been using the QT 6.3/hide window trick you discovered, only now with PT 7.3 and the requirement of QT7 I haven't been able to. I've been holding out as long as I can with my aging G400 dual display card. Would LOVE to finally upgrade!

Ben
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Sure, I'll let you know ASAP

L.G.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 AM

Well, here I am.

I've updated the driver and MS .NET Framework to the latest. So far, it seems to be working as it's announced. I don't have to hide the QT floating window anymore! Eureka. It's just that I've got used to hiding it at the bottom because I don't like to have it on my mixer window...it's just a habit, but it's great to know that I finally don't have to do weird tricks anymore.
I only have one problem: the picture quality of the movie either in the QT window and on my TV screen is rather bad...pixelated and almost deinterlaced. Now I know for sure that the quality of the source file is OK , in fact it looks great if I open it in Media Player or even QT stand alone. It just doesn't look the same within PT. How is it for you? I'm currently on PT 7.1 and QT 6.3. I'v posted on the therad related to this subject but it seems that updating to QT 7 isn't of any help...
Your feedback appreciated, as always.

L.G.