Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Default VCA spill question

Sorry in advance if this question seems obvious to some, i don't own an S6 yet but considering buying a basic M10-8 faders.

Can i spill the VCA on faders that are already in use ? Let say my 8 faders are being used as VCA for different groups and i need to access the individual channels contained within one of the VCA, can i spill those channels on the same 8 faders, make adjustment then go back to my original 8 VCA faders ?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Re: VCA spill question

Yes you can, by defining a spill zone to be those same 8 faders. The spill zone can be banked to give you access to more than 8 channels. Spill zones were added with v2.0 software, and you can define two of them. Spill zones cannot overlap faders though. 8 faders in one zone would mean the other zone would be unused.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 PM

So if my drums are 12 channel wide, i can spill the drums by defining a zone and in my case on the same 8 faders as i only have 8, then nudge to my 9-10-11-12 and needed. Correct ?

Quote:
Spill zones cannot overlap faders though
This mean if one has a 16 channel fader and have defined Zone 1 as faders 1-8 than Zone 2 must start at 9..correct ?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
So if my drums are 12 channel wide, i can spill the drums by defining a zone and in my case on the same 8 faders as i only have 8, then nudge to my 9-10-11-12 and needed. Correct ?
Correct!

Quote:
This mean if one has a 16 channel fader and have defined Zone 1 as faders 1-8 than Zone 2 must start at 9..correct ?
Not necessarily. The 2nd zone could start at any position 9 or higher. You don't have to use all fader positions on your surface when defining zones. BTW zones are called "left" and "right".
Old 09-19-2015, 08:30 PM

What I would do with an 8 channel model is use your 8 channels at the top level for VCA masters (i.e. put your VCA master tracks first in your session so they automatically come up when banked left). Then when you attention 1 of the VCA's if you have the option set, it will spill the VCA slaves onto all 8 faders in the spill zone, with the VCA master going to the attention fader on the master module. You could then attention one of the slaves to the master module if you wanted to. You can also bank the 8 faders through the slaves if needed.

To collapse the spill and go back to your VCA's you would just press the menu button on one of the slave channels. It's a great, quick way to navigate your session, works especially well if you set up a mix template in advance with your groups and VCA predefined.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/