Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Default Windows 8

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I am still running Pro Tools 8 M-Powered on Windows Vista 32-bit. For my simple projects, v8.0.3 is enough (the only new features that I *really* wish I had are ADC and the Channel Strip plug). Even Vista, despite it's reputation, has served me pretty well. However, with the pending October release of Windows 8, I recognize that I'm soon to be two full versions behind the upgrade curve on both my DAW and OS, and that scares me.

I don't expect that there will be many more driver updates for 8.0.3, if any. Do we know yet if a new Windows 8 driver will be released for it at all? I don't want to shell out for a new OS only to find that I'm then forced to upgrade to PT10 (which I cannot afford) because 8.0.3 won't work with it.

However, I would like move from 4gb of RAM to 8gb, but 32-bit Vista does not support it (or even 4, for that matter). At the same time, it seems silly for me to upgrade to Windows 7 now knowing that the new version is just months away. At least I would know that my OS will continue to support my DAW for a good length of time still.

Looking for a recommendation from anyone in the know. Upgrade to Window 7 today or stick it out until October and get Windows 8? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Windows 8

Pro Tools for Windows 8 is not going to happen by October IMO. For the price of an OEM edition, just get on with what you need to do.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadh View Post
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I am still running Pro Tools 8 M-Powered on Windows Vista 32-bit. For my simple projects, v8.0.3 is enough (the only new features that I *really* wish I had are ADC and the Channel Strip plug). Even Vista, despite it's reputation, has served me pretty well. However, with the pending October release of Windows 8, I recognize that I'm soon to be two full versions behind the upgrade curve on both my DAW and OS, and that scares me.

I don't expect that there will be many more driver updates for 8.0.3, if any. Do we know yet if a new Windows 8 driver will be released for it at all? I don't want to shell out for a new OS only to find that I'm then forced to upgrade to PT10 (which I cannot afford) because 8.0.3 won't work with it.

However, I would like move from 4gb of RAM to 8gb, but 32-bit Vista does not support it (or even 4, for that matter). At the same time, it seems silly for me to upgrade to Windows 7 now knowing that the new version is just months away. At least I would know that my OS will continue to support my DAW for a good length of time still.

Looking for a recommendation from anyone in the know. Upgrade to Window 7 today or stick it out until October and get Windows 8? Thanks!
If your machine is working fine I wouldn't touch it. I'd wait for Pro Tools 11 and move to Windows 8 then. That should be a significant upgrade for you and you'll make the jump straight into 64bit (hopefully). Also gives you some time to save the cash for it.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM

the developers preview and consumer preview of Windows 8 both run Pro Tools 9 just fine, no need for special drivers, as you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw0bjygxku4

its safe to assume PT10 will run fine in Windows 8 as well.

Computers pre-installed with Windows 8 are supposed to start showing up on market in the 4th quarter, so the retail version should be out around the same time.

But who knows what Avid may release between now and then.

You would be fine with Windows 7 x64 and PT10 for quiet awhile, but if you are getting along fine with what you have, there is no harm in waiting 6 months and then revisiting the situation then.

However, if you are currently not able to perform the tasks you need, and your OS and PT version are the weak link, go ahead and update.

As far as PT8, I doubt there will be any further additions, PT8 and Vista support from Avid have been dropped.

I'm not sure what kind of computer you have now, but before you do anything you should check with the manufacturers support page and see how much ram your mobo supports and if you are Windows 7 x64 ready.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Thank you all for your informative replies.

As my system has been more or less rock solid for several years, I think I'm going to heed jgrooms' advice and wait until PT11 and upgrade everything at once. Hopefully, Windows 8 will have released Service Pack 1 by the time PT11 comes out, and I can get W8, PT11, 4gb RAM -- and upgrade any legacy RTAS VIs that I'm still running, like Kontakt 3.5.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to spend my money on an entry-level electronic drum kit for my son for his birthday in July. Maybe the little guy will make me rich someday! At only $350 on eBay, I'm considering the Alesis DM6 Session. And you know, maybe I might bang around on it every now and then, too. :) Can't wait to play Ocean Way Drums through it!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM

hey, i have some serious issues with my protools mp that i just bought. i click it to open, and nothing at all happens. nothing. it tries to load a little, then no loading screens, it doesnt even appear in task manager.

i think im doing everything right but its not working. i downloaded 9.0.5 and it tells me that i dont have valid pro tools software installed. can anyone help?

thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsbrothel View Post
hey, i have some serious issues with my protools mp that i just bought. i click it to open, and nothing at all happens. nothing. it tries to load a little, then no loading screens, it doesnt even appear in task manager.

i think im doing everything right but its not working. i downloaded 9.0.5 and it tells me that i dont have valid pro tools software installed. can anyone help?

thanks!
Hi billybobsbrothel,

Read this and start your very own thread in the appropriate forum.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com