Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 09:01 AM

Default Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal

I get a popup from a vendor and curious?

I thought there was no more perpetual licenses regarding Pro Tools Studio, or any version for that matter?

This popped up and just wondering if any can shed some light on this, thanks.
Avid Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal (Continues Updates and Support for 1 Year)

Old 08-05-2022, 09:08 AM

Default Re: pAvid Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal

Hmm, I've seen several references to dealers having perpetual licenses, but usually they also mention that when those are gone, there won't be more in the future. Having said that, its possible that Avid are reconsidering(but I kind of doubt it) In any case, for people looking to buy or renew, I ALWAYS suggest going thru a dealer instead of Avid(if for no other reason than after-sale support)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post

I thought there was no more perpetual licenses regarding Pro Tools Studio, or any version for that matter?

Avid Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal (Continues Updates and Support for 1 Year)
It's a renewal of a Perpetual License, not a new Perpetual License.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-05-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:

That's not a new perpetual license, that's a renewal for existing perpetual license owners.

See the Pro Tools Tiers FAQ and Meet The New Pro Tools Lineup post in the PT subforum for more info.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Avid Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
That's not a new perpetual license, that's a renewal for existing perpetual license owners.

See the Pro Tools Tiers FAQ and Meet The New Pro Tools Lineup post in the PT subforum for more info.

Okay I see now where you are coming from.

What I could see someone being misled when it clearly states Pro Tools Studio. My understanding, correct if I'm wrong but when Pro Tools Studio came aboard it was only subscription right ?

If so, they should word it as such where older versions of PT with perpetual can now upgrade to subscription. (yea / no )

Last edited by basslik; 08-06-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Avid Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal

Quote:
...What I could see someone being misled when it clearly states Pro Tools Studio. My understanding, correct if I'm wrong but when Pro Tools Studio came aboard it was only subscription right ?
Pro Tools Studio refers to the mid-tier software (previously just named Pro Tools). That's not dependent on a perpetual or subscription license type.
Quote:
If so, they should word it as such where older versions of PT with perpetual can now upgrade to subscription. (yea / no )
No, there isn't an 'upgrade to subscription' from a perpetual license. (We used to have a crossgrade that involved trading in a perpetual license for a discounted subscription, but that was discontinued last year.)

You own a perpetual license with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan so you'll see a few options on the right side of your product in my.avid.com/products... a 'Get Current' upgrade for $249US (which would provide a new perpetual license bundle) as well as 3 subscription offers (these would provide a new subscription license leaving your perpetual which would still authorize PT versions released up through your plan's expiration date). Note that upgrading from the product in your Avid account starts the clock on your plan, so if you intend on using/starting that later then you could instead buy the upgrade from a reseller and redeem at my.avid.com/products/redemption
Old 08-08-2022, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal

Okay I see pay an extra $50 for 1 year upgrade more than a regular subscription.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Tools Studio
$249.00 Pro Tools Studio Annual Perpetual Upgrade & Support Plan - GET CURRENT

Seems disheartening *to me* considering being a loyal customer since PT7. That is my personal opinion merely of course.

Although I understand Avid has to push customers to subscription.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Renewal

Quote:
Okay I see pay an extra $50 for 1 year upgrade more than a regular subscription.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro Tools Studio
$249.00 Pro Tools Studio Annual Perpetual Upgrade & Support Plan - GET CURRENT

Seems disheartening *to me* considering being a loyal customer since PT7. That is my personal opinion merely of course.

Although I understand Avid has to push customers to subscription.
Thank you for being a long time customer! Even though we stopped selling new perpetual licenses with the April 2022 release we understood that some existing perpetual license owners might not want to move to subscription. That's why we maintained renewals (the thing that seems to have prompted this thread) and brought back upgrades. Your Software Update Plan was renewable for $199 while it was active but it lapsed in April 2021 so is more than a year beyond the 30 day grace period to renew, that's why it's $249 (to upgrade) instead of $199 (to renew). Also, keep in mind that the Subscription is a 1 year license, so at the end of that term the license would have stopped whereas your perpetual license will continue to authorize Pro Tools. I started a support case to get more info so please check your email and reply as needed. Thanks.