Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 AM

Default Voodoo Ground Control and Eleven Rack Setup Please Help!

Cannot figure out how to get Eleven Rack going with Voodoo Labs Ground Control. I am not a MIDI guy, this is my first time programming MIDI.

Can someone please tell me how to do it?

The way I want to set it up is the 4 Presets / Bank with instant access.

I want 4 separate RIGS on the bottom 4 buttons with the upper 8 buttons turning on and off separate effect pedals like delay, phaser, etc. I believe this should be a pretty straightforward setup. With this setup I don't really even need distortion pedals up above because my 4 RIGS are going to dictate my gain levels much like a 4 channel amp.

So on the bottom I would want button 1 to be my clean amp RIG.
Button 2 would be my dirty amp RIG.
Button 3 would be my crunchy amp RIG,
and button 4 would be my shred amp RIG.

So the first thing I need to do is create 4 RIGS exactly the way I want them.

So after that how do I assign those 4 lower buttons to my 4 amp RIGS?

Sean Halley's Voodoo YouTube videos don't show how to do this. I got as far as setting up the Voodoo controller to the 4 Presets setting and the Eleven Rack MIDI setup to the OMNI setting but that's as far as I've got and when I push buttons on the Ground Control, nothing happens.

After I get my 4 RIGS set up, can I set it up to bank to another 4 RIGS? And so on and so forth? After that I want to set up my 8 effects with Volume pedal and Wah pedal. I think I can do that with the YouTube video but I can't even get RIGS to change yet.

Also it looks like Sean Halley's Voodoo Ground Control has only 1 MIDI cable attached. I thought you needed both IN and OUT like an effects loop? The Eleven Rack manual and Voodoo Labs Ground Control manual say nothing about what cables you need to connect this. Do I need one cable or both?

Thank you whoever can help with this thing!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Voodoo Ground Control and Eleven Rack Setup Please Help!

Read page 10 of the GCP manual on to setup "4 Presets/Bank". Do as instructed.

Then you need to edit each of the for buttons to send the correct "Program Changes" to the 11R. See page 16-17 of the manual. The corresponding PC messages to 11R presets goes: A1=01, A2=02, B1=05, C1=09 and so on.

EDIT: Actual PC message numbers may vary +/- 1 depending on your gear because some equipments starts on 00, and some start on 01.

Sean Halley's vids shows you how to setup the other 8 buttons.

And only one MIDI cable is required. The instance that you would need two, or to switch the positions, would be to send information TO the controller, such as Sysex information. Which it doesn't sound like you need to do.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM

The manual is so poorly written it does not make any sense to me.

Let's say I want RIG A1 as button 1 on the Ground Control. Then RIG A2 as button 2 and RIG A3 as button 3, and RIG A4 as button 4.

According to the manual if I want button #1 to be RIG A1, then I select button #1 so it lights up, then hit the EDIT button until the edit light comes on,
then use (SELECT DOWN ARROW) to step through each of the items within the preset.

Which one is it? There are 3 choices: Device _ 01, "INIT ", and Save To 01.
Then the manual repeats itself again and asks to save your changes???

None of this makes any sense at all. This manual is the worst manual I've ever seen in my life. How does anyone figure it out from this horrible manual?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

here it is step by step, after you are in 4 presets/bank mode and you are on the desired preset, i.e. Preset 01.

1. Hold [EDIT] until you are in edit menu.

2. go to "Device" and input "01" for A1. you should see [Device - 01]

3. Back out with [edit] button, when asked to Save changes, select [Y]

4. Rinse and repeat with the next 3 presets, except doing "02" for A2, "03" for A3 etc. Though you may want to just copy the preset and tweak or whatever.

Make sure 11R is set to Omni or ch 1, (or whatever channel you set it to) and use only one cable from GCP MIDI out to 11R MIDI in.

That should be all there is to it. If the problem persists, or you aren't getting a reaction from the 11R, try sending the FX on/off CC changes with the top 8 buttons. you may have a hardware issue.

EDIT: IMHO, the GCP manual ain't half bad. i looked through the Behringer FCB1010 manual, and Yamaha MFC manual and was like, f--k this!
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Sean has a youtube vid on how to do this i believe
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 AM

Hey!

Is it posible to setup Ground Control Pro like this:
in bottom row - presets 1,2,3,4 and in next bank 5,6,7,8 etc (so this is kind of normal behavior?)
in buttons 1 to 8 various CC parameters - I know it was showed off in youtube videos - I have one more thing:

For example in button 1 I'd like to set delay on/off. So this is CC28. And is it set "globally"? What I mean - no matter which preset is active, button 1 change delay on/off?

Furthermore - If I have delay in preset 2, and no delay in preset 1, does to led in button 1 (stands for delay on) lighten up right when I switch to preset 2? I've had couple of midi controllers that don't behave like this, for example I had leds on (telling that delay is on) and I switched it off (led gone off), and next I switched to next preset also with delay and led was still off - [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty thing, I don't like this

Sorry for my crap english, I hope You understand what I mean
Greetings from Poland!
Mateusz
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owczar.zdw View Post
Hey!

For example in button 1 I'd like to set delay on/off. So this is CC28. And is it set "globally"? What I mean - no matter which preset is active, button 1 change delay on/off?

Furthermore - If I have delay in preset 2, and no delay in preset 1, does to led in button 1 (stands for delay on) lighten up right when I switch to preset 2? I've had couple of midi controllers that don't behave like this, for example I had leds on (telling that delay is on) and I switched it off (led gone off), and next I switched to next preset also with delay and led was still off - [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty thing, I don't like this
Im' thinking about getting a GCP and I wonder this too, can anyone please answer this? :)

Also, is it possible to set up the GCP like this:
first row: each button a cc (effect)
second row: each button a patch
third row: each button a patch

Thanks alot!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 PM

The GCP operates in two modes: 12 presets, or 4 presets with 8 IAs (CCs). In 4-preset mode, buttons 1-4 are the presets (patches); 5-12 are the IAs. There is no way to change that.

The IAs are set globally - in other words, if you assign button 5 to a particular FX block (dist, mod, rev, delay, FX1, FX 2, etc), it will toggle that effect on or off, regardless of which patch you have called up. But the settings of the effect won't necessarily be the same from patch to patch. Within each patch (or rig on the 11R), the effects are programmable, so the effects you programmed in each patch will be the FX you toggle.