Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-1999, 02:21 PM

Default PC should have better access to plugins!

I've been recently using Pro Control on my latest project.What I've noticed about it is that it does not support quick access to plugins.For example when I need to activate a plug I have to do all sorts of button switching and I end up with only 8 knobs for adjustments.
I think DIGIDESIGN should fix that!
Conventional mixers(including digital ones) allow to quickly reach for the effect you need.
Digi,please respond!
Old 11-30-1999, 05:00 PM

Default Re: PC should have better access to plugins!

What specifically do you want to see?

Pro Control has a ton of ways to access plug-ins, both editing and bypassing/switching them in. You can even assign plug-ins to inserts from the surface. You've got EQ/DYN buttons, INSERT buttons, etc... Yes, there's 8 knobs in the DSP section but you can page around to edit other plug-in parameters. Have another look at the manual if you haven't seen this stuff already.

If you still have ideas, let us know.

-- Marc
Old 11-30-1999, 05:13 PM

I think he means there are quite a few button presses to go through till you get to having your hands on a plug in paramiter knob,

ie "STOP PT TRANSPORT" (which you know we want to dispence with) and then several presses around the DSP section, I know what he means, it does seem a lot...Dunno what you can do about it.....????
Old 11-30-1999, 07:13 PM

Hi Julian,

Well you only have to stop the transport if you're ~assigning~ plug-ins; not for editing plug-in parameters.

Here's a common scenario. I want to edit an EQ plug-in on my track. I open the session, I press the EQ button for that track. Now the parameters are displayed in the DSP section and the knobs are available for tweaking. That's one button press. Same thing for dynamics; just press the DYN button instead. If it's not an EQ or dynamics plug-in, I can get to it in two (insert button for the track and then select the particular plug-in). There's also the Inserts/Param button in the DSP section...

What are you finding cumbersome? Paging perhaps? Any examples of a better way to do it?

-- Marc
Old 12-01-1999, 07:20 PM

As a longtime PC user, I must admit that the 8 "generic" knobs for plug-ins is less than friendly. For a ProControl II model, I would recommend dedicated knobs for EQ and Dynamics ala Neve Libra. Put enough knobs in each section to handle the most probable plug arrangement.
Old 12-02-1999, 08:22 PM

I've been using PC for about 1 year now... all i can say is LOVE the faders, LOVE the pan knobs...

LOVE MY KEYBOARD AND TRACKBALL

Never take my hands off them!. I think you should do away with all the buttons and knobs to control plugins - way to difficult to figure out all the abreviations. Do away with the matrix... but I do like the lights in Vegas.Unlike a traditional console, my biggest complaint is that I can't remember all my EQs, sends and Plugins that I use in a big mixing session, so I end up mousing around a real lot

BUT... and I will say it again... BUT I will never give up my PC and PT. I absolutely love it. I do commercials and music tracking, mixing and mastering. It's the BOMB!

PS the Argosy console enclosures are great.
Old 12-03-1999, 05:03 AM

"PS the Argosy console enclosures are great. "

Whats that? Am I missing something ???

Jules

Opps! I umnderstand it now, Will one fit a master unit & 3 fader packs? Web site? UK?

[This message has been edited by Julian Standen (edited 12-03-99).]
Old 12-03-1999, 10:37 AM

www.argosyconsole.com

I love mine.
Camilo
Old 12-03-1999, 10:50 AM

How much does the Argosy Console enclosure for ProControl cost and can you have all 32 channels installed?