Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Default Reason 11 in Windows as VST3

Just curious, but since Reason 11 is only available as either AU or VST3, I wondered if any Windows users have tried hosting it using Blue Cat Audio Patchwork in PT? If so, does work okay, or are there glitches and issues? Limitations?

Old 12-29-2019, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Reason 11 in Windows as VST3

I took a look over in the Reasontalk forum and someone asked about R11 and PT and it was crickets. And you still can't load third party stuff in the rack when in another daw except as RE's. From my reading of the tea leaves the latter issue will never be properly taken care of. As to R11 aax format - the future is cloudy but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This whole thing is sad because I was looking forward to updating from R8.3 and not mucking about with Rewire. On the Mac side I've been hearing of issues with delay compensation when running inside Patchwork using the original vst3 of R11.

QAPLA!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I took a look over in the Reasontalk forum and someone asked about R11 and PT and it was crickets. And you still can't load third party stuff in the rack when in another daw except as RE's. From my reading of the tea leaves the latter issue will never be properly taken care of. As to R11 aax format - the future is cloudy but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This whole thing is sad because I was looking forward to updating from R8.3 and not mucking about with Rewire. On the Mac side I've been hearing of issues with delay compensation when running inside Patchwork using the original vst3 of R11.

I can't fathom what the P-heads were thinking with this one. For years they had a very stable, self-contained program with many great features. Then with 9.5 onwards, they've had nothing but issues. Why they couldn't allow VST hosting with Reason in slave mode still baffles me. It can't be that hard to pull off. Reaper handles it very well. That issue, I believe, prevented many people from jumping on 10...yourself, included. Now with 11, they have all this promise of making Reason available as a plugin...only VST3 and AU, and no thought of AAX? Its almost like they don't want PT users using Reason.

I suspect there would be many, many PT users who would upgrade to 11 immediately if it was AAX AND if they allowed VST hosting of the rack while in PT. I sure would! Until then...nope!

Old 12-30-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I can't fathom what the P-heads were thinking with this one. For years they had a very stable, self-contained program with many great features. Then with 9.5 onwards, they've had nothing but issues. Why they couldn't allow VST hosting with Reason in slave mode still baffles me. It can't be that hard to pull off. Reaper handles it very well. That issue, I believe, prevented many people from jumping on 10...yourself, included. Now with 11, they have all this promise of making Reason available as a plugin...only VST3 and AU, and no thought of AAX? Its almost like they don't want PT users using Reason.

I suspect there would be many, many PT users who would upgrade to 11 immediately if it was AAX AND if they allowed VST hosting of the rack while in PT. I sure would! Until then...nope!
Same here my friend no matter how good of a sale they come up with.

One reason (sorry for the bad pun) that was put out there for not being able to handle vst's in slave mode was somehow due to using Rewire. If that was indeed true and with Rewire now being gone down the mists of time what is their excuse now? Blue Cat can do it with Patchwork in both standalone and as a plugin in one's daw of choice so why not the formerly Propheads? Maybe they just don't have the programming chops the small shop that BC has.

At least they didn't promise us aax support and drop it like Waves did for PT's dsp cards

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 AM

Update:
Reason Rack now has MIDI output. Sadly nothing on the aax format front.

QAPLA!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Update:
Reason Rack now has MIDI output. Sadly nothing on the aax format front.

What will the MIDI output allow you to do exactly?

Old 02-20-2020, 11:51 AM

I would think that MIDI output would allow you to send MIDI to VIs that are hosted in the DAW outside of Reason. i.e. the Reason plug could send MIDI to an instance of Kontakt on another instrument track. Does AAX even allow MIDI out?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I would think that MIDI output would allow you to send MIDI to VIs that are hosted in the DAW outside of Reason. i.e. the Reason plug could send MIDI to an instance of Kontakt on another instrument track. Does AAX even allow MIDI out?

Correct. You can also use the MIDI out for HW gear.

And yes, AAX supports MIDI out. You can use plugins like Cthulhu in PT to trigger VIs.

Fingers crossed for an AAX version or Reason Rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Correct. You can also use the MIDI out for HW gear.

And yes, AAX supports MIDI out. You can use plugins like Cthulhu in PT to trigger VIs.

Fingers crossed for an AAX version or Reason Rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until there is AAX I'm not upgrading. And, they'd better allow VST hosting when it is AAX. If they do, and with the MIDI enhancement, Reason will be the most powerful and versatile VI on the planet because in effect it can become ALL of them!

Old 02-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Count me on this list..

I love some of the players and tools and would love to have this as an AAX.

Still, I am going to try the demo and find out for myself if it works with patchwork.

I mean, I have to use patchwork for so many things, all my hardware instrument editors for example cause even roland won't make an aax, only AU and VST, same with access with virus, etc, so what's the difference adding another one to the pile.