How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 AM

Talking new Pr-Tools user

Hi

Saying hi to all here (Hi!!) and hope I can in time provide good feedback like I hope to get! I'm pretty experienced as a producer and very experienced as a musician so fire away on that front. I've used Cubase (kill him...!) for 10 years or so and am now jumping ship due to a lot of studio time and easy transfer of sessions to my home studio.

Like I said I'm a new PT user, having recently bought PT9 and have had AMAZING problems with it on my PC (crashing, error messages - my system is just not up to it, I must upgrade - I also blame the bloody dongle, VERY old fashioned), so I'm considering upgrading or buying a new computer.

Having spent a LOT of money recently on recording an album (I'm in the middle of it - computer issues have halted me!), I can't at present afford the computer I would like, yet I need to move on with the session files I have waiting in PT9.

My question: I can spend £600-800 on a PC with a Nehalem/i7 processor, 6-8 gig memory, a new mother board, etc, to suit and risk a wealth of problems configuring the beast to work with PT, or I can spend £1000 on a lower spec imac (i5, maybe i7) or even a second hand Power mac for the same price.

In all youz peoples opinion what do you suggest?

Thanking all feedback, K
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Re: new Pr-Tools user

Hi Kolya,

Take a look at this i7 thread.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Hi Kolya,

Take a look at this i7 thread.
Thanks Tom for the link.

I had a read before I joined the forum of this thread actually and that was one reason I decided maybe Macs are a better option; the variables are ENDLESS and I presume can be very time consuming to finally resolve, I've done so much of that recently I'm not sure how much more I can take!!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM

What Tom said is my first choice. But if you don't want to build it yourself and are willing to buy an iMac, then why not take a look here.

For a couple hundred more you get a solid build and more expandable options than the iMac. Mac is not the only alternative for simple solid audio computers when you don't want to build the PC yourself. It is the only solid alternative if you simply want to use OS X.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM

If you select parts for a Windows system that are known to work well, such as listed in the thread Tom linked you to, you'll be fine. You're likely to get much more for the money than if you went for a Mac. PT is working brilliantly on Win7x64 - better than anything I've ever experienced before as a 17-yr PT user. I would suggest Mac these days only for two kinds of PT users: 1) non-techy creative types (because OS X is better suited to that gift-set), and 2) those who aren't already familiar with Windows or have a strong dislike for it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
I had a read before I joined the forum of this thread actually and that was one reason I decided maybe Macs are a better option; the variables are ENDLESS and I presume can be very time consuming to finally resolve, I've done so much of that recently I'm not sure how much more I can take!!

The i7 builds thread can be overwhelming but if you look closely you'll see common variables that many here are using to run stable systems.

For example: i7 9xx processor, Gygabyte or Asus x58 mobo, WD Caviar Black drives, Corsair or Patriot RAM, etc.

I started with PT on a Mac and was very hesitant to switch to PC....very glad I did though.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Use the first page of the i7 thread for a parts list and configuration for a shop you know/trust to build the computer. Many, many people have followed the recommendations on that first page and built or had built solid, stable, powerful computers. Also follow the Avid recommended optimizations (link in the General Troubleshooting Thread) and follow the install instructions for PT and you should be fine. Any issues you have can and will be addressed here on the forum.

I've built two PC's using the recommendations from the pioneers here on the forum, one a P4 and the latest - 6 years old - an AMD Dual Core and it's still going strong. I will be replacing it next year - finances permitting - so I can move up to Windows 7/8 and PT 9/10.

I do have an Excel file with a parts list and config page. It's not bleeding edge (i7 960) but if you would like it, please email me and I will send it to you.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My question: I can spend £600-800 on a PC with a Nehalem/i7 processor, 6-8 gig memory, a new mother board, etc, to suit and risk a wealth of problems configuring the beast to work with PT, or I can spend £1000 on a lower spec imac (i5, maybe i7) or even a second hand Power mac for the same price.
Taking consideration on the information you have posted, one element sticks out, Pro Tools is not the same as any other DAW programme. Pro Tools is very particular about what computer components it will work with. Pro Tools can not just run on any old PC however that should not detract your decision on choosing PC as long as you follow the components listed to the letter. There are some stable and reliable systems posted by some very clever users.

The biggest bang for your buck is going PC as low-end iMacs will not cut it and PPC Macs are not compatible with Pro Tools 9.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Like I said I'm a new PT user, having recently bought PT9 and have had AMAZING problems with it on my PC (crashing, error messages - my system is just not up to it, I must upgrade - I also blame the bloody dongle, VERY old fashioned), so I'm considering upgrading or buying a new computer.
LOL, those of us who've been using PT for years only relatively recently got PT9 with the iLok as the only dongle needed. Before that the dongle was the Hardware so think yourself lucky!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Thank you all so much for the fantastic response, I now have enough information from all of you, as well as the Avid support themselves have got back to me with some recommendations.

I'll have a proper read and analyse the great info you've all sent here and then see what is best. I'm really happy to hear that PC users are thumbs up with using PT, I wanted to buy the software 4-5 years ago but it didn't seem well matched to PC's, but that seems not the case now, so it means I can probably stay windows.

Kolya