Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

Okay, I am going to suggest that it is time that the preference, “automatically copy files on import” in preferences should be the default setting.

I think I understand why this isn’t the default as disk space used to be much more expensive. However, nowadays, it is much cheaper and I would argue that not having this as a default setting causes way more problems than it avoids.

I taught in Pro Tools at a school for 8 years to hundreds of audio students and it was always a nightmare no matter how many times we covered changing this preference and doing save copy in.

If not making it a default preference, I think their should be an easily recognizeable way to quickly know if all of your files are in the session folder. For example, the Green file indicator in the tool bar could be orange in the situations where they are not all in the folder and it would be awesome to have an option to right click on it and say “copy all outside files to session folder”.

But my vote is to make this preference a default to avoid the millions of broken lives it will cause if it continues as is.

Any huge reasons why it shouldn’t be the default setting?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-21-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

The only issue is; even with this setting checked, sometimes it still doesn't work I cover my ASSets by copying the files into the session folder and import from there. This extra step has never disappointed me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The only issue is; even with this setting checked, sometimes it still doesn't work I cover my ASSets by copying the files into the session folder and import from there. This extra step has never disappointed me
Same issue. Bug.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-21-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I never have this issue, and I have the preference checked. But I believe the issue comes from using the import Audio dialogue. I never use that. I always drag and drop audio files into the edit window and it works great.

I believe the issue your talking about is using the import audio files and not choosing to convert the audio. I think this bug should be fixed, but then I still think the preference by default should be switched to always copy files on import.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 03-21-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I taught in Pro Tools at a school for 8 years to hundreds of audio students and it was always a nightmare no matter how many times we covered changing this preference and doing save copy in.
I also teach Pro Tools. However, if you use the import audio file menu and choose "copy" (not the default "add") there really shouldn't be a problem.

I think a lot of students get themselves in a mess because they naturally drag and drop, something Pro Tools doesn't seem to like when moving sessions between systems.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:22 PM

I never understood why it’s not checked by default either..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:41 PM

Plenty of us don't want that as a default in post production. We don't want thousands upon thousands of files copied by accident.

As for making sure the session has all its files wherever you want, the workspace is where that can easily be checked and corrected. How to manage and manipulate that should probably be taught.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
I never understood why it’s not checked by default either..

Because it’s doubling the disk space. The file already exists, so you’re duplicating however much space it consumes.

Doesn’t really bother any of us these days, but I assume (as referenced in the first post) that it’s a long standing default from the days when a 9Gb drive cost an arm and a leg.

Waiting for the obligatory’9Gb? When I was starting out...’

Last edited by Sardi; 03-22-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 AM

Hi,

One of those things that should be a pref when installing, along with session always open with last saved playback settings. i'm constantly switching playback settings back to what they were when i last opened the session.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
I also teach Pro Tools. However, if you use the import audio file menu and choose "copy" (not the default "add") there really shouldn't be a problem.

I think a lot of students get themselves in a mess because they naturally drag and drop, something Pro Tools doesn't seem to like when moving sessions between systems.
All students at our school had their own hard drives with their projects on them and were required to work on different computers across campus at different production studios and on their own computers. Then they would show up at their private lessons and often be missing files. The biggest culprit was that they dragged and dropped files (loops, exports from another sequencer such as Logic) into Pro Tools on a computer that did not have this option checked.

But beyond students.... I now don’t teach and I have clients show up all the time with sessions that are missing audio files because their preference wasn’t checked on their home computer and there was no way possible that I am going to be able to teach all Pro Tools users I’ll ever come into contact that they need to go in and check that preference.

I decided to post this today because I saw a post on a Facebook Pro Tools group where someone was devastated because they worked in a studio that was now closed and they had an important session coming up and they were missing audio files. A couple months ago I had someone else reach out to me because they were missing session files from working on multiple computers and they were devastated because they couldn’t find where the files were. While I know how to find where the files are, etc. It is a huge problem for many people, especially newer Pro tools users.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4