How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 09-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Workflow for drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have had much the same thought process but am also always looking for ways to improve. My method is more of a compromise where it only aligns mics for their particular main signal(IOW, the 3 snare mics align, but I don't move them to any other drum). Some tutorials show timing EVERYTHING out to one "master"(which I also have experimented with). I was onto that routine, but it got a little whacky because I had built the time offset into the session(with the Time adjuster plugin) and it sounded good, and was fine for tracking(not enough delay to throw off a player), but as soon as the drummer would raise/lower the snare or hat, it would throw things off again I'm trying to zero in on making the absolute best recordings I can(aren't we all). Re ambience, I don't think its time alignment(or misalignment) that gives that. That's a function of the room, acoustics and how much you rely on the overheads in the overall mix. Grab the JJP Drum plugin at $29 I spent an entire day trying to NOT need that plugin(was trying to dump Waves) and in the end, I gave up
I did pick up the JJP. It does some really nice things, even with, say, a kick from Boom. I don't do live drum tracking here because I'm not set up for that. My studio is set up for sound tracks for video/games/film etc. which is what I've been doing. But, I do sit in on sessions with live drums now and then, and its always good to have some ideas to make things sound good!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 PM

I still use the same plugins even with virtual drums(and also never use the virtual drum ambience). That way, I give the drums a sound that's more me then having the kit sound like every other SD2 user

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 PM

First my apoligies looks like i have two logins cstowell=appledude.
i just bought waves nx, hls channel and abby roads reverb for less than $90 and they gave me a choice of a free one and picked jjp bass. I like it a lot. Cant beat those four plugs for that price. I kind of stayed away from waves but hard to pass some of these $29 dollar plugs. Now you guys are giving me gas for the jjp drums.

I also do edrums with no ambiance. Its like perfect isolated miking. Especially if they are really good samples.

So how do you pan? I been told i do it the british way which is like you look at from the audience. The hat slightly to the right snare a bit to the right. bass center. Toms panned hi to low Right to left and overheads 3 and 9 oclock.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 09-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post

So how do you pan? I been told i do it the british way which is like you look at from the audience. The hat slightly to the right snare a bit to the right. bass center. Toms panned hi to low Right to left and overheads 3 and 9 oclock.
I also do audience perspective, but snare goes in the center. Only warning on the JJP Bass plugin(which I use a lot). If there is the slightest buzz or noise, the plugin will exaggerate it a lot. My solution, follow it with EQ III 1 band set to Lo-pass>automate the frequency and pull the frequency down on long notes where the noise fades in(as the bass fades out).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave