Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 PM

Default Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to Monitor for Digi 002??

Have you re-started PT's after you make the changes?

I know you're running at 96, but have you tried locking them up via ADAT? I mean if you're just using the Pro 40 for monitoring why not use optical?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to Monitor for Digi 002??

-I absolutely refuse to go 48Khz. There is a slight difference in audio quality and a signifigant difference in the way most plugins operate between 48Khz and 96Khz.

I have no problem staying at 96Khz monitoring with my FireStudio. If I cannot do this with the Saffire, I will just return it and continue to use the Presonus.

I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about sample rate, but you should always go at least 88.2 Khz. I can hear a difference.

-I do have 2 rca connections. RCA out of DIGI 002 SPDIF out to Saffire RCA SPDIF in and vice versa.

-I was going to test whether the SPDIF does work through Optical at 48 Khz because that would probably tell me that my RCA connections are broken etc, but I haven't had time. I will let you know tonight when I get home.

-Regular ADAT is working through optical to give me 18 ins at 48Khz. I did test this when I first got the unit.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM

I'm in no way looking to argue about 48 and 96, or 88.2 and if you can hear the difference good for you. I'm still confused about how you have your system connected.

It's my impression that you have your system hooked up through SPDIF only for monitoring and not using ADAT. My suggestion wasn't that you USE ADAT, it was that you simply clock with it. Meaning if the DIGI has an ADAT out (not spdif) lock the units with that, set the clock to ADAT on the Saffire, then plug in your SPDIF. Ok scratch that, I just read the DIGI manual...I think I see where you're coming from now with being pigeon holed into 48k For arguments sake, it would be interesting to see if it will clock at 48k, I know your ears will probably cringe But just for testing purposes.

According to the DIGI manual:

Both the RCA and Optical ports accept S/PDIF
signals at sample rates up to 96 kHz.

Digital Clock Source
When you connect an external digital source,
you can set Digi 002 to synchronize to external
Word Clock (the clock signal coming from the
device) or internal Word Clock (generated by
Digi 002). In most cases, such as with DAT
decks, you will use external clock.

I'm willing to put money on there either being something damaged or something is being overlooked. There is NO reason that you should not be able to get those units clocked.

The more we talk about this, the more it seems like perhaps this isn't the right unit for you. Why did you buy a Pro 40 and not want to use it as your main interface?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors

Last edited by dr_daw; 03-05-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: More information obtained...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM

"According to the DIGI manual:

Both the RCA and Optical ports accept S/PDIF
signals at sample rates up to 96 kHz."

This is really intersting.. because I know that the Digi doesn't have SMUX capability. I will have to check it out.

" Why did you buy a Pro 40 and not want to use it as your main interface?"

Like I mentioned in an earlier post. I am using the Focusrite as my main interface when tracking. The Digi 002 is the Console version with controller. I cannot unitlize the controller when mixing unless the Digi 002 is selected as the interface.

"The more we talk about this, the more it seems like perhaps this isn't the right unit for you."

This shouldn't be the case.. What I am trying to do should be simple and is very common... for instance, it would be that same situation as if I purchased an older Apogee rosetta 200 or 800 A/D and needed to route to the Saffire D/A etc...
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM

Ben,

I find it so strange that it won't lock. Something funky is going on. I think I understand your use of the Pro 40 now.

It was click, click for me to sync my Pro 40 to my OCtopre MkII, and the same to get my PC to lock up via SPDIF. As mentioned though, I didn't really need to make any changes in the MC with regards to clocking for SPDIF. I only had to change the clock settings in the Delta 1010 mix software to external SPDIF. Then set up the MC to have SPDIF as one of the inputs. BAM done.

Are you using either your DIGI or Pro 40 as 'system' sound?

Set Pro 40 clock to internal, and DIGI to external SPDIF? Reboot Pro Tools and the Saffire

With regards to using the 'ADAT lightpipe' There is no SMUX as it is using the SPDIF protocol but simply using optical instead of RCA. So in your settings you would select SPDIF/Optical.

pg 55 in the manual:

S/PDIF
S/PDIF (Sony/Phillips Digital Interchange Format)
I/O is available on many DAT decks, compact
disc players, and other digital devices. Each
S/PDIF connection provides 2 channels of digital
audio with 24-bit capability. You can connect
a S/PDIF digital input to either the Optical connector
or to the S/PDIF RCA connector on the
back panel of the Digi 002
(see “Connecting a
Digital Deck (DAT)” on page 58). The Optical
connectors accept standard optical “lightpipe”
cables; the RCA connectors accept standard RCA
cables.

pg 1 of the manual:

[I]• Optical connectors for 8 channels of
ADAT I/O (up to 48 kHz) or 2 channels of Optical
S/PDIF I/O (up to 96 kHz)
• RCA connectors for 2 channels of S/PDIF digital
I/O supporting up to 24-bit, 96 kHz audio
[/I]

I'm pulling for you, it's GOTTA work!

Last edited by dr_daw; 03-05-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM

ok dr_daw,

So I was able to get it to work! Using SPDIF through Optical.

-I set the Mix Control to SPDIF-OPT and the settings to "Use ADAT as Optical SPDIF"

-I set the DIGI 002 within Pro Tools Hardware Setup as "Optical Format S/PDIF" and it locked.

I had the clock source set as SPDIF at first and Pro Tools would not playback for more than 15 seconds without an error message.

-I set the Clock Source to Internal and now it's rock solid!

I wonder if my RCA connections are broken??.....

Thank you for your help!

Old 03-05-2014, 03:49 PM

SWEET ROCK AND ROLL! Internet high five! I know you changed the RCA cable, hopefully it's not the new unit that has a damaged SPDIF RCA connection. Stoked that you're locked and loaded, it was almost bugging me as much as it was bugging you :P Glad we were able to work through it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Focusrite

Hi guys!

Sorry it took me so long to check up on this post for you.

Been very busy over here and it somewhat delayed my forum time.

It sounds like you might have an analog RCA cable instead of a true digital SPDIF cable.

These commonly trip us up as they look exactly the same.

Sometimes they will be marked so you know if it is digital SPDIF cable, but if you don't see any marking it's time to go get one you KNOW is digital SPDIF.

Please let me know if I can help you further!

Kat

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/