Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 AM

Default PT recognizes midi controller, will not play instrument

Pretty well stumped on this one. Using a Behringer UMX 61 controller, that I've used for years. Works fine. Will play whatever I pull up in standalone. PT sees the controller, but it will not play an instrument I pull up. Have tried several different VI's, all of which will work standalone. Last time I connected it, it was fine. Any ideas? Thanx...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 AM

Default Re: PT recognizes midi controller, will not play instrument

I used to have similar midi problems with all external midi controllers (Novation Sl,Korg MS20ic,etc) any midi despite appears seem to be broke.
What worked for me was to delete the "Pro Tools" folder from user/app data/roaming/Avid/ reboot and after PT 11.0.1 restarted every midi related controller worked again.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconstantine View Post
I used to have similar midi problems with all external midi controllers (Novation Sl,Korg MS20ic,etc) any midi despite appears seem to be broke.
What worked for me was to delete the "Pro Tools" folder from user/app data/roaming/Avid/ reboot and after PT 11.0.1 restarted every midi related controller worked again.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Thanx for this. Though I'm not sure what "/app data/roaming/" is. Where is this found? Thanx again...

EDIT: Ahh. That's a PC thing. No? Has no one else seen this problem in OS X?

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM

So as this mystery continues, I have switched MIDI controllers. Again, PT sees/recognizes the EMU X49 controller I've connected, but no message is received by the opened VI. Any insight appreciated...

Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
So as this mystery continues, I have switched MIDI controllers. Again, PT sees/recognizes the EMU X49 controller I've connected, but no message is received by the opened VI. Any insight appreciated...
Have you added the controller under midi setup? Also check the midi thru option and see if that changes anything. Under the midi setup you should see all your midi control options and you need to check the box of the device you wanna use.
Also you have to record enable the channel you have the VI on

Hope that helps
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
you have to record enable the channel you have the VI on

Hope that helps
Chris
Hi Chris, thanx for checking in. Right now, I feel like the dunce of the damn universe...

EDIT: 9/6/13- This was the answer. Thanx to those who replied...

Last edited by RaySoul; 09-06-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 PM

Make sure you right click on the VI controls or whatever modifier key you need to press for midi learn of each parameter. This probably not the problem but I'm sure you are trying anything at this point.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.