Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Unhappy Who is running Eucon on multiple hosts with no disconnections ?

Hi

I run 1 artist mix + 1 control v2 + 1 mc mix (last firmware 1.55 and drivers 2.6.2)
on 1 Mbp i7 thunderbolt and 1 win7 x64
PT 10

All artist units are networked to my AIrport Extreme,
And my AE is networked to my dsl router, that is connected to Internet.

Eucon disconnections occur regularly when Mac and pc are both online.
When Mac only is online, Eucon disconnections happen when running session with more than 10 tracks.

Tried with static ip on artist units (client side), but cannot reserve ip on my dsl router side (don't known why, did not have this option)

iP reservations with AE not working, because I need acess to Internet, and the ip reservations must be done with my dsl router, and AE does not accept ip reservation cause it 's not acting as a router, but just bridged to my dsl router.

Going crazy...

Please help !
Cannot work seriously !
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Who is running Eucon on multiple hosts with no disconnections ?

klyg,

I don't have these equipments (thinking of buying it), but I'm a network administrator and I have some questions to try to help you:

1. How many machines (hosts) do you have linked at the network?

2. These machines are linked with AE right?

3. Are you using a cat5e or cat6 network cable for your machines/DAWs? Is this cable a crossover cable or a standard cable?

If I understood, your DSL router is providing IP address via DHCP for your machines? Is that?

4. What's your IP Network Address / DHCP IP Address range configured at DSL Router?

I don't know how Artist Mix and Control works, but You could try some configurations:

- Configure the DHCP protocol with a network IP range (DSL Router) for the necessary range of your network. Say that you need provide IP for 50 hosts, so you can try to configure this network:

- 172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0 as your IP Network Address.
- 172.16.0.1/24 DSL Router Internal IP
- from 172.16.0.11/24 to 172.16.0.50 for general hosts (DHCP Range).
- 172.16.0.2/24 for your mac (static IP).
- 172.16.0.3/24 for your pc (static IP).
- 172.16.0.4/24 for your Control (static IP)., and
- 172.16.0.5/24 for your Mix (static IP).

On this way, you'd know that, other machines (wi-fi) won't get the IPs from Mac, PC and Artists units. You don't need to reserve these IPs. What you need is to create an IP Address range limitation at your network and use the IP address that aren't be used by other hosts (wi-fi).

By the way, you could read a recent article at Pro Tools Export about connections issues with Artist Series:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...on-issues.html

Sorry for my English.
Best Regards,
Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 AM

Hi really big thanks or helping me, as I am not in my studio, please find the information on my setup. I will give give you the rest ASAP. Thanks again !
Quote:
Originally Posted by raomcz View Post
klyg,

I don't have these equipments (thinking of buying it), but I'm a network administrator and I have some questions to try to help you:

1. How many machines (hosts) do you have linked at the network?
3 =1 Macbookpro + 1 win7 + 1 wifi ipad2
2. These machines are linked with AE right?
pc and Mac and AE are connected by rj45 to dsl, 1 control + 2 mix rj45 to AE, 1 ipad2 by wifi to AE
3. Are you using a cat5e or cat6 network cable for your machines/DAWs? Is this cable a crossover cable or a standard cable?
All cat5e
If I understood, your DSL router is providing IP address via DHCP for your machines? Is that?
Yes, DSL distribute ip by DHCP
4. What's your IP Network Address / DHCP IP Address range configured at DSL Router?
172.?...I 'll confirm tomorrow
I don't know how Artist Mix and Control works, but You could try some configurations:
All machines including mixes and control have 192.168.0.x ip range. Pc and Mac and AE are connected to DSL. (dsl is a 4 ports giga router, 2 ports used by the 2 rj45 of pc (also tried with just 1 port), 1 port used by 1 Macbookpro, 1 port used by AE). On the AE LAN: 1 port connected to dsl, 1 port connected to 1 control, 2 ports connected to 2 mixes. I tried to config the AE through airport utility to reserve static ip for control and mixes, by using 192.168.0.14, 192.168.0.15, 192.168.0.16, 255.255.255.0 mask, but Cannot succeed and have errors messages : "your ip adress must match the range provided by your isp" , "check out the range...". I check the dhcp range of my dsl, it's 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99. One thing I notice : impossible to reserve ip with airport utility if AE is in router mode : I must setup the AE in bridge mode o be able to reserve ip, but in that case I have the above error message.
- Configure the DHCP protocol with a network IP range (DSL Router) for the necessary range of your network. Say that you need provide IP for 50 hosts, so you can try to configure this network:
If I understand you suggest to CONFIG the ip address using 172.16.0.x instead of local 192.168.0.x, right ?
- 172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0 as your IP Network Address.
- 172.16.0.1/24 DSL Router Internal IP
- from 172.16.0.11/24 to 172.16.0.50 for general hosts (DHCP Range).
- 172.16.0.2/24 for your mac (static IP).
- 172.16.0.3/24 for your pc (static IP).
- 172.16.0.4/24 for your Control (static IP)., and
- 172.16.0.5/24 for your Mix (static IP).

On this way, you'd know that, other machines (wi-fi) won't get the IPs from Mac, PC and Artists units. You don't need to reserve these IPs. What you need is to create an IP Address range limitation at your network and use the IP address that aren't be used by other hosts (wi-fi).
I have several wifi DHCP clients, such as ipad2 using VControl pro, and a IBM laptop.
I tried without AE, connecting control and mixes to aD-Link DGS-1008G 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch, linked yo dsl. But Same issues. Anyway, Because I need wifi, so need AE. So still using AE, bridged to my Dsl router.

By the way, you could read a recent article at Pro Tools Export about connections issues with Artist Series:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...on-issues.html

Sorry for my English.
Best Regards,
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Smile Re: Who is running Eucon on multiple hosts with no disconnections ?

klyg,

You could try some steps:

- Set AE to bridged mode (already configured ok?).
- On your hosts and Artist Units set Static IPs:

192.168.0.101/255.255.255.0 - Macbook Pro.
192.168.0.102/255.255.255.0 - Win7.
192.168.0.103/255.255.255.0 - Artist Control.
192.168.0.104/255.255.255.0 - Artist Mix 1.
192.168.0.105/255.255.255.0 - Artist Mix 2.

Macbook Pro and Win7 must be configured with Gateway and DNS IP address (192.168.0.1) to reach internet: I'm presuming that the IP 192.168.0.1 is being used by DSL Router to communicate with local network.

PS.: As these IP (192.168.0.1xx) are out of DSL DHCP range (192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99), you can use these IPs with no problem, and you don't need to reserve these IP address at AE or DSL Router. Your wi-fi machines and your iPad2 will get IPs from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99, so no conflit problems. Necessarily, you don't need to reserve static IPs on AE or DLS to use static IPs on hosts or Artist units.

- Try to set the Network Card speed on Win7 to a static value (test to see if it will help): Go to Network adapter's proprieties => Advanced => Link Speed and Duplex => Set to 1000 Mbps Full Duplex.

- Try to set MBP network connection as mentioned in Pro Tools Expert Article...

You can have a throughput problem between AE and your machines. You are using 1 cable to pass all signal from/to internet for your hosts (iPad2 and others wi-fi hotst) and the same cable to pass the signal from Artist Units and your DAWs (MBP and PC). One 1Gbps link is being shared by many hosts:
Too many cars for one little bridge...

So, the best option (if possible) would link the hosts and Artist Units at the same network bus (switch). On this way, the hosts and Artist Units would be linked at full speed with dedicated connections (internally by the switch backplane).

I have the same network setup (DSL Router, AE, iPad2, MBP and a PC Hackintosh and others wi-fi machines) and I'm buying these Artist units next week (probably I'll get the same issues). I'm planning to do these configurations too...

Let's work on this problem!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Thks !

I will try ll you suggestions.

Question :

As mentioned in my last post I added an 8 ports giga switch from Dlink, rj45 to dsl router, and connected artist control and mix 1 and mix 2 to Dlink. (also tried all hosts rj45 to Dlink, or just artists control and mixes to Dlink, pc and Mac rj45 to dsl router). But still have some disconnections issues. I found out using the AE as bridge is more stable and my wifi clients (ipad2 with V control pro) works better.

I also tried replacing AE with a SMC barricade N giga wireless switch but still having same issues.

So at the end, what I've done is going Simple : 1 Mac, 1 control, 2 mix to DSL router and same issues !

But I will try again with your ip scheme and connect my AE to the Dlink switch (or directly to dsl router) to provide wifi and see if this CONFIG works...

I'll also make sure my cat5 are not crossed. Because i wonder if my first units (euphonix control and mix) are delivered with cross cat5 or not.

Glad to know you may buy artists series. I think they are worth the price but must be put in a very clear network structure.

As a reminder, all these problems begin when I add a second mix (AVID artists branded). No issues before with just 1 Euphonix control v2 and 1 mc mix. Really makes me confuse, I am sure artists seties with Eucon are weakS ! when aggregating.

Waiting for your news,
Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by raomcz View Post
klyg,

You could try some steps:

- Set AE to bridged mode (already configured ok?).
- On your hosts and Artist Units set Static IPs:

192.168.0.101/255.255.255.0 - Macbook Pro.
192.168.0.102/255.255.255.0 - Win7.
192.168.0.103/255.255.255.0 - Artist Control.
192.168.0.104/255.255.255.0 - Artist Mix 1.
192.168.0.105/255.255.255.0 - Artist Mix 2.

Macbook Pro and Win7 must be configured with Gateway and DNS IP address (192.168.0.1) to reach internet: I'm presuming that the IP 192.168.0.1 is being used by DSL Router to communicate with local network.

PS.: As these IP (192.168.0.1xx) are out of DSL DHCP range (192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99), you can use these IPs with no problem, and you don't need to reserve these IP address at AE or DSL Router. Your wi-fi machines and your iPad2 will get IPs from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99, so no conflit problems. Necessarily, you don't need to reserve static IPs on AE or DLS to use static IPs on hosts or Artist units.

- Try to set the Network Card speed on Win7 to a static value (test to see if it will help): Go to Network adapter's proprieties => Advanced => Link Speed and Duplex => Set to 1000 Mbps Full Duplex.

- Try to set MBP network connection as mentioned in Pro Tools Expert Article...

You can have a throughput problem between AE and your machines. You are using 1 cable to pass all signal from/to internet for your hosts (iPad2 and others wi-fi hotst) and the same cable to pass the signal from Artist Units and your DAWs (MBP and PC). One 1Gbps link is being shared by many hosts:
Too many cars for one little bridge...

So, the best option (if possible) would link the hosts and Artist Units at the same network bus (switch). On this way, the hosts and Artist Units would be linked at full speed with dedicated connections (internally by the switch backplane).

I have the same network setup (DSL Router, AE, iPad2, MBP and a PC Hackintosh and others wi-fi machines) and I'm buying these Artist units next week (probably I'll get the same issues). I'm planning to do these configurations too...

Let's work on this problem!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM

just want to add :

1. these problems occur with OSX lion, not with WINx64
2. all these problems begin when I add a second mix (AVID artists branded). No issues before with just 1 Euphonix control v2 and 1 mc mix. Really makes me confuse, I am sure artists seties with Eucon are weakS ! when aggregating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyg View Post
Thks !

I will try ll you suggestions.

Question :

As mentioned in my last post I added an 8 ports giga switch from Dlink, rj45 to dsl router, and connected artist control and mix 1 and mix 2 to Dlink. (also tried all hosts rj45 to Dlink, or just artists control and mixes to Dlink, pc and Mac rj45 to dsl router). But still have some disconnections issues. I found out using the AE as bridge is more stable and my wifi clients (ipad2 with V control pro) works better.

I also tried replacing AE with a SMC barricade N giga wireless switch but still having same issues.

So at the end, what I've done is going Simple : 1 Mac, 1 control, 2 mix to DSL router and same issues !

But I will try again with your ip scheme and connect my AE to the Dlink switch (or directly to dsl router) to provide wifi and see if this CONFIG works...

I'll also make sure my cat5 are not crossed. Because i wonder if my first units (euphonix control and mix) are delivered with cross cat5 or not.

Glad to know you may buy artists series. I think they are worth the price but must be put in a very clear network structure.

As a reminder, all these problems begin when I add a second mix (AVID artists branded). No issues before with just 1 Euphonix control v2 and 1 mc mix. Really makes me confuse, I am sure artists seties with Eucon are weakS ! when aggregating.

Waiting for your news,
Cheers !
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Smile Re: Who is running Eucon on multiple hosts with no disconnections ?

klgy,

I suggested you change the IP schema to static IPs because it maybe a software bug (EUCON/OSX). MBP maybe loosing the connections from Artist Series when it is using DHCP leased IPs.
As You mentioned, this problem is happening when 3 machines are being used at same time. I don't know, but maybe a throughput problem (3 units trying to communicate simultaneously over the same channel - MBP Ethernet adapter). In a network/ethernet/tcp-ip environment, it isn't a problem, because these protocols were designed to work on this way, but I don't know about EUCON software (can be an EUCON bug).

One thing you have to do:

Setup your network environment without any kind of doubts/problems/mistakes to know that it is not a network configuration problem. You have to isolate the problem.

I know that you are on the right path (change switch, cables...).

Regards,
Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 PM

After days of troubleshooting, here is my 2 best (not perfect)network setups:

1. All units on my DSL router (1 artist mix+1 controlv2+1 mc mix), AE rj45 to DSL router, MacBook pro and PC rj45 to AE.

2. All units + mbp + pc rj45 to a dlink giga switch,
Dlink giga switch rj45 to AE
AE rj45 to DSL router.

As a precaution, I changed all rj45 cables to cat7 (even though artists units just need cat5e, running just at 100).
All is set to DHCP (no differences if set manual static ip).

Now I can open the pt10 demo session and moving almost all the faders in the same time, inserting plugs, mixing, changing parameters without disconnections.
it's not perfect, but sufficient because I never use sessions more than ten tracks (for the moment)

One strange thing (among others), since the beginning is when opening the demo session, when the song starts with the first guitar (when there are no other instrument), all 3 control surfaces are freezed, so if I try to move faders, or mix, or doing anything, they did not respond ; I must wait for the other tracks to engage then I can use the 3 controllers normally. Otherwise, disconnections happens !

But if I power on my pc when using Macbookpro, EUCON DISCONNECTIONS EVEYTIME! HAVE TO STOP ALL EUCON SERVICES PC SIDE FOR CONTINUING USING ARITISTS CONTROLLERS MAC SIDE.
AVID please support make Eucon more stable crossnetwork and cross platform!: !

Hope this help!