Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Default If i buy a new MBP can i install snow leopard?

Unfortunately the lion update came out before i could purchase a MBP,I was wondering if i bought a factory copy of snow leopard would i be able to install it on it's own partition or would it install over lion?
I am new to mac's so excuse me for being green to mac's.
The main thing i would like to do is buy a new MBP and run it with snow leopard not with lion.Is that possible? Thank you for any help!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sun Studio's View Post
Unfortunately the lion update came out before i could purchase a MBP,I was wondering if i bought a factory copy of snow leopard would i be able to install it on it's own partition or would it install over lion?
I am new to mac's so excuse me for being green to mac's.
The main thing i would like to do is buy a new MBP and run it with snow leopard not with lion.Is that possible? Thank you for any help!
The latest MacBook Pros came with a special build of Snow Leopard. You'd need to find someone with the latest MBP, install Snow Leopard from that DVD and then run Software Update to get latest patches.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Default Re: If i buy a new MBP can i install snow leopard?

Usually with a Mac, you can't run a previous version of the OS. So if the computer ships with Lion, you can't run SL. However, it has been suggested that there will be a four week delay until all the SL computers are out of the supply chain.

Don't delay.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
Usually with a Mac, you can't run a previous version of the OS. So if the computer ships with Lion, you can't run SL. However, it has been suggested that there will be a four week delay until all the SL computers are out of the supply chain.

Don't delay.
It also doesn't hurt to ask at the store if they have models that still have Snow Leopard.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
It also doesn't hurt to ask at the store if they have models that still have Snow Leopard.
As of today , as far as I know, ALL Macs from Apple come with Snow Leopard. Lion hasn't been released yet. Will probably happen any day now.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks Everyone!Found one at B&H video.
They told me it would be approximately a week before they were shipping them with Lion.At least now i can use Pro Tools!That was my main concern.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:00 AM

Just thought I'd pass on this info since I'm in the same boat. I just ordered a 17" MBP BTO. Before I did I spoke with a system engineer at Apple regarding this topic. He reminded me that nothing is physically changing on the current generation of Mac Book Pros when they start shipping with Lion. The current generation was made to work with Snow Leopard and that's oldest version they will work with. That won't change just because they start shipping with Lion until there's an actual physical change in the Mac Book Pros. So if you have access to a universal version of Snow Leopard, you should be able to load it on to a current generation Mac Book Pro even if it ships with Lion.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortasalient View Post
Just thought I'd pass on this info since I'm in the same boat. I just ordered a 17" MBP BTO. Before I did I spoke with a system engineer at Apple regarding this topic. He reminded me that nothing is physically changing on the current generation of Mac Book Pros when they start shipping with Lion. The current generation was made to work with Snow Leopard and that's oldest version they will work with. That won't change just because they start shipping with Lion until there's an actual physical change in the Mac Book Pros. So if you have access to a universal version of Snow Leopard, you should be able to load it on to a current generation Mac Book Pro even if it ships with Lion.
I have the latest MacBook Pro and it came with a special version of Snow Leopard, to support the i5/i7 models. I'm not sure what a "Universal Version" of Snow Leopard is, but the retail copy will not work on this model. (I found out the hard way when I cloned my drive from my old system onto the new one) Even one of the updates (10.6.7?) that came out soon after the MBPs had a special version, the normal Combo Updater wouldn't work.

Steve
Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what a "Universal Version" of Snow Leopard is, but the retail copy will not work on this model. (I found out the hard way when I cloned my drive from my old system onto the new one) Even one of the updates (10.6.7?) that came out soon after the MBPs had a special version, the normal Combo Updater wouldn't work.
When I spoke with the system engineer at Apple, He said there were model specific disks that came with Mac Book Pros, but I think that's always the case. He didn't say anything about the combo updater not working though. Hope that's fixed now, but good to know, thanks.