Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 AM

Default Pre Sale, Mbox2, 3 (NAMM), DIGI STRIKE (drums)

Considering buying LE for Laptop but will also use it for MAC and PC.....

Having used TDM, I do have some PRE SALE QUESTIONS that I don’t understand...

First, I want this due to STRIKE, although have yet to try it out at a local music store so chime in if you have it regarding SOUND, I have EZ, BFD, DrumCore as well as Nuendo, SX.
I know the shortcomings of LE regarding some midi as well as ADC. However, can someone point out to me when ADC comes into effect on LE?? If your are just basic tracking with a few instruments, and STRIKE, will this make a difference with regard to ADC?

Also I have a decent >$1000 pre-amp that offers NO adat but SPDIF, so, if I do not connect the SPDIF is there a way to track in LE and then open in NUENDO to use the REST of my plugs, some which reside only on the PC and do this without DV toolkit? So what model to look at, when does the USB 1.1 start to hiccup and again when would ADC come into play.

I know it seems foolish to go LE if I have Nuendo, which is great, hoping someday the gap gets smaller between HD and LE as working on a laptop is now very plausable plus the quad cores will come out someday, (could be AMD for apple as Intel needs ECC memory and big heat sinks) and was reading KL8 (AMD) is supposed to be a duo core killer, we'll see. Will probably go HD someday anyway, have used in our studio (we have HD, I'm talking about home project studio as I design CD's for Sony).

Anyway, I want LE for the tenative Digi Strike drum module, the goal would be to record bass and drums, scratch vocal then import to PC where I have everything from giga, live, to Sony Oxford, etc...although the MAC collection of plugs are growing.
Would this be possible without DV toolkit? I won't be using it to score...and if I did, I would use Nuendo first then import to LE.....and work hand in hand together.

For now though, this whole concept of getting a MBOX (or waiting until NAMM to see what happens (very close to me/us)), (fingers crossed for mbox 3 with ADAT outs and surround as well as ADC (grin), is to use DIGI strike as the foundation (with LE) as the song writing base, and either finish it on another platform, or use the FRONT END of my other PRE's via SPDIF and stay all in LE.

Thanks for the advice.

Would really like to hear more from users that also have STIKE compared to BFD, EZ, DKFH, etc and how it sounds. The demo sounds for strike are sort of like Groove Agent and don't sound that strong but the video on the media page shows more and sounds much better.

PPS. On the MEDIA VIDEO for STRIKE it says JOIN ME ON THE NEXT SECTION ABOUT STRIKE and there is no part deux (II). Anyone know what's up with that?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Pre Sale, Mbox2, 3 (NAMM), DIGI STRIKE (drums)

Any advice at all?

Anyone own Strike as well as BFD or other? How does it compare, human sounding and samples?

Also advise on best way to go for now.

Thanks!