Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Default HDX system and latest NIVIDA graphics cards

I couldn't find a datasheet on Avid's website for the latest qualified graphics card.

This link: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...339?popup=true seems to only have older cards and not the current generation from NVIDA.

Anyone have experience with the current generation? I'm thinking of getting a NVIDIA K600 to possibly help with my recording stability (see my other recent threads). My current card, ATI FirePro V3700 is from 2009 and PT 11.2 is unhappy recording and with the video engine. I definitely need to keep testing but so far I'm wondering if the graphics driver is causing too many DPC causing PT to stop. There's no newer driver to update to so I figured I should at least get a much more powerful and newer graphics card.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Re: HDX system and latest NIVIDA graphics cards

Having a K card will be excessive, Pro Tools doesn't use Cuda acceleration at all and the K series were designed to do Cuda rendering.

A recent GTX 590, GT 610 or NVS car will be enough.

Your main issue is the ATI card, not supported, even though it may work.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins

Last edited by feliponk; 07-17-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks for your response Felipe.

I was looking at a document about a specific HP workstation that's qualified by AVID and AVID listed the K series cards as qualified. They also listed the Quadro 600 which doesn't have the K although I haven't compared specs closely enough yet. Online it seems both these cards are similarly priced. I was hoping to get the latest generation card so it's compatible for as long as possible. Thanks for the info about PT not using Cuda processing.

Also I noticed that AVID on one particular HP qualified workstation said that the PCIe 1.0 slot shouldn't be used for the main HDX card because there could be a performance hit. My only HDX card happens to be in a PCIe 1.0 slot because my 2.0 slots are the graphics card and the other one is covered by the CPU heat sink. I could turn my heat sink and make both PCIe 2.0 slots available and put the HDX card in one and a new graphics card in the other.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sandwisch View Post
Thanks for your response Felipe.

I was looking at a document about a specific HP workstation that's qualified by AVID and AVID listed the K series cards as qualified.
I think this is due to using the same specked station for their video softwares and pro tools.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I think this is due to using the same specked station for their video softwares and pro tools.

Yup, the K series is used for Media Composer and its real time video effects

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Also I noticed that AVID on one particular HP qualified workstation said that the PCIe 1.0 slot shouldn't be used for the main HDX card because there could be a performance hit. My only HDX card happens to be in a PCIe 1.0 slot because my 2.0 slots are the graphics card and the other one is covered by the CPU heat sink. I could turn my heat sink and make both PCIe 2.0 slots available and put the HDX card in one and a new graphics card in the other.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
David
It only matters the speed, HDX prefers to be in a x16 xlot, while can be used as second option in a x8 slot.
Are you using HP in Windows?, if so check this http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...dows-Computers

In my case I'm using an HP Z800 with both MAC OSX 10.8.5 and Windows 7 Pro 64, best of both worlds ;-)

Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM

Hi Felipe,

I am running on a custom built machine that I and several other users here made a few years ago to squeeze more life out of our original HD systems that used PCI-X slots. It was very stable and worked great with my stress test.

Now I'm trying to get HDX to work in the same computer for about a year and then next summer I plan to upgrade to whatever the latest stable build is that I can find here.

I did also load 10.3.9 on the machine co-installation with 11.2 and the same error happens when recording anything more than 8 tracks. I can move my HDX card to a PCIe 2.0 slot if a new graphics card does not help but I want to try that last because I will have to rotate my CPU heat sink which is currently covering a PCIe 2.0 slot.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 AM

Still have 9171 errors after getting an approved NVIDIA graphics card and putting the HDX card in a PCIe 2.0 slot. It works better but still can't do any long recordings at 96k. I had it once do 16 tracks at 32 bit at 96k for 3 hours but can't repeat it even with the same H/W buffer settings at max 2048 samples.

Something still isn't right. Thoughts?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM

I'm on my third graphics card upgrade to a seven year old Dell workstation, an NVS-300 I bought on Amazon for $30. I run the latest driver in win 8.1 with no problems at all.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Still have 9171 errors after getting an approved NVIDIA graphics card and putting the HDX card in a PCIe 2.0 slot. It works better but still can't do any long recordings at 96k. I had it once do 16 tracks at 32 bit at 96k for 3 hours but can't repeat it even with the same H/W buffer settings at max 2048 samples.

Something still isn't right. Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

A full system check wil be required, this doesn't make any sense