Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Default Abbey Road discontinuing plugins-rip off?

Here's an email I got from Abbey Road today.

Do you guys think they are ripping people off? These were not cheap plugins. I think they should at least offer an iLok license trade in for another one of their products. Your thoughts?

Unfortunately we have not been able to find a solution that will enable us to update the TG12413 Limiter, TG Mastering Pack and RS124 Compressor plugins and, crucially, ensure on-going support, therefore, we have now discontinued the sale of these products. Existing customers with valid licences will be able to continue to use these plugins within compatible DAWs, however, there will be no further updates to the software. Please visit the Discontinued Products section of the Abbey Road website for more information.

The range of plugins developed in partnership with Waves are unaffected by these changes.

Warm regards,

Abbey Road Plugins
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Abbey Road discontinuing plugins-rip off?

This is truly sad. I am a huge fan of the TG Limiter and the RS124. I don't know any other compressor plugin that can get the sound of the 124 with the fuse lit up.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM

This has been discussed extensively on Gearslutz and it's unfortunate that Abbey Road is not the developer of the older plugs, but rather the publisher. The Brilliance Pack folks are now customers of Softube and any newer endeavors by Abbey Road have been placed in the developers camp (i.e. Native Instruments and Waves). So now they've moved to licensing their brand rather than the product itself. Abbey Road was never a software company and there are hard lessons all around.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM

WOW That really sux as I believe we have invested over 1K in these 3 plugins we have and something that is this expensive, even double the price of similar products should be supported for a bit longer than we owned them. I think we bought ours a year ago and as someone said here, they weren't cheap

I can't say we feel ripped off but it is a sad thing anyway you look at it.

I guess "lessons learned" here and maybe we will have to be more careful in the future with this expansive stuff.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Do you guys think they are ripping people off?

Let's see...

You paid for a license to use a product and access to a copy of the application.

You received a license to use a product and access to a copy of the application.

You paid for something and you received it, so exactly why do you think you are being ripped off?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM

Bill - it's like buying a car and finding out a year later they won't support the model and if you need parts you're SOL.

I believe software vendors should be bound by a guarantee period of a few years of support from when you purchased. Failing which you should receive a pro-rata refund.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 PM

I second it Cliff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Bill - it's like buying a car and finding out a year later they won't support the model and if you need parts you're SOL.
The Abbey Road plugs are not broken (as in you need parts). They work in the context that the were sold. What your analogy suggests is that the dealer should give you a break on a new car model because yours has been discontinued.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 AM

" it's like buying a car and finding out a year later they won't support the model and if you need parts you're SOL. "

Anyone who has been in the technology industry dealing with hardware/software systems should know by now that its very different from buying a car. This industry changes very fast. Can you run PT 10 or 11 on a PPC MAC you bought 8 years ago? No. Can I order parts for my old PPC MAC from Apple? No. Did they rip you off cause its no longer able to use state of the art software? I think not.

It is sad it is no longer going to be updated to continue to work with technological advances... yes... Rip off? No, I dont believe so.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 AM

I don't necessarily think this is a rip off, because I doubt there was any intention to discontinue support. However, it is not good for the plugin market as a whole. It reinforces my opinion not to spend big on software. I think the most I ever spent on a single plugin was $499 for the VSS3, but I'd be reluctant to now.

Massey set the tone for the future, but even he seems to have slowed production. I guess the real rip off is the amount of people stealing software and this punishes those buying it in the end.