Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Please Help! PT 8.0 Audio files are all over the place!

Man, this is unbelievable! I tracked a session Tuesday. We recorded 6 songs. Bassically Rhythm section stuff. My client came back in today to overdub the vocals, guitar, ect. When I opened the session, of course I had to re-link the files, when I played it back, there were tracks from other songs on there! WTF????!!!!! I had to really do some quick talking to keep my client settled down!! What is GOING ON?????!!!!! When I started the session Tuesday, I did have allocation errors. I cant exactly remember what I did to fix it. I think I went into the Disk Allocation and set it to my external Audio Drive. Then things were in line and could hear all of the tracks. But now some files are in my System drive in a folder with the name of the song and the Audio Files folder only. Digi, PLEASE help. I updated to cs2 as there was a fix in there for file handling problems. This is extremely critical as I feel there is a major bug as to the file handling of PT 8.
Thank You ,
Joel

http://www.yourhitsok.com
Pro Tools 8 LE
Digidesign 003 Rack
iMac 20' 2.66GHz Intel Duo
4GB Ram
Lacie 500G External HD Firewire
Mac OSX 10.5.6
Waves, Air, Etc...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Please Help! PT 8.0 Audio files are all over the place!

Update. For some reason My System drive was marked to "R"ecord. I NEVER changed that since I installed.

I Have all but one of the songs back in line and all on the same disk by opening each session and "Save as Copy" Making sure that all the files are in the proper Audio Folder for each session.

HUGE PROBLEM However, I cannot seem to find some of the audio files for this one song appropriately named "Bad Luck"! I had paid session players on this tune that had a fantastic performace on these. WHERE ARE THEY??? I did a system wide search for these files!!!!!!! They absolutely CANNOT be deleted. I did not delete anything from any drive on my mac. They were there and we listened to them Tuesday. I saved the session appropriately, I ABSOLUTELY HAVE to have these files! My client will throw a fit if we have to re-track these! PLEASE DIGI!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM

If anyone has experienced this Please reply! I see many people have viewed this thread but no replys. I am desperate here. I am really trying to make this my main source of income but if the clients files are deleted inavertantly, I surely cannot have a business. Please DIGI or you seasoned users of PT8 I need a response. I have way too much invested to make a switch to another format. I am on my knees begging. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
For more information, I updated to cs2 when it came out as I had another problem where an audio file was deleted for no reason on a session that was not as critical as this one. I went through all of the steps on "Help us help you" Deleted preferences, ect. I have searched this site extensively for any possible answers to no avail. Please????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 AM

Bump!!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 AM

I've had this problem before. I think it was switching from one session to another for some reason it didn't change the base directory and when I started to record it went in the other.

I found doing save copy as resolved the issue as it would place all of the files in the new saved directory. You must select the option to copy the files.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Thank you for the reply. I did resolve the issue that I had with the files being on both my audio drive and the System drive by doing exactly what you said. However my problem is there are files that are gone now. My client hired session players and now it is going to cost me the money to bring them back in to retrack those parts. It may also cost me the client's business also. I did make backuos after the session was over and those files did not make it into the backup. It is like this particular session wants the bass part and some of the drum parts from another session and the parts that belong to this session are just gone.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 AM

I use a time capsule with a 1TB drive attached to it for just audio backups. I have it doing both the system drive and the firewire drive which captures all changes.

What are you using for backups?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon491 View Post
I did make backuos after the session was over and those files did not make it into the backup. It is like this particular session wants the bass part and some of the drum parts from another session and the parts that belong to this session are just gone.
Something to try . . . Did you name the tracks before recording them? If so, do a Spotlight search for the name or partial name of one of the session player tracks you remember. If you find one .WAV, .AIFF, whatever that corresponds to the track name, they'll all probably be there. Then just import them to the session. If you didn't name all the tracks before recording and everything is named Audio-1.wav and so on, do a search for all .WAV (or whatever format) and check the date/time on the files that would correspond to your tracking session. When you find something that looks good, you'll have to audition those files to see what's what. Good luck.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM

It sounds like you may have had Round Robin and/or custom disc allocation turned on and aren't familiar with what those features are doing behind the scenes. (check pg. 361 of the PT8 Reference Guide)

Another trick, to help locate your missing files:

- Open a copy of the session from before you did the "save copy in", where the files first went missing.

- In the Edit window, open your Regions List

- Click on the Regions List Menu and choose
"Show" then "Full Path"

Now if you look in your regions list, you will see the exact path (what drive and folders etc..) to where the audio files/regions were recorded/saved and should still be unless you have deleted them (or are having hard drive failure and files are going missing all by themselves).

Hope that helps!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Man, thank you all for the responses. I will try them tonight!
Joel