How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Phoenix/Peacock/RA $149 at Sweetwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousBliss View Post
Using the Shibata preset and Deep mode instead continues to be a real game-changer for me. Probably the thing that's gotten me closest to the sound of albums from the 70s-90s when covering songs from that era. Another couple things that I just got that were real helpful in getting a more classic sound are CH5 and SDC from SKnote. They pair real nicely with RA/Phoenix/Peacock and Dopamine. $149 price is still up.
I spoke with Sweetwater yesterday and the price should be up on this until the end of the year. It's not part of the Cyber Sale, but has to do with the 48month no interest financing they are offering. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM

How does Phoenix hold up against newer offerings? I have HEAT and love it but would it be redundant?

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Every tape emulation is the most realistic, most authentic, most magical, most groundbreaking development ever. And every plugin "makes its way onto every track in every session we do."

:^|
Old 12-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
How does Phoenix hold up against newer offerings? I have HEAT and love it but would it be redundant?
I can't really comment about Heat, although I like what I heard it does very much. I wish they would just make Heat Native too

They could well be sonically related coming from the same designer. However, Phoenix has many more sonic options than Heat which as I remember just has two knobs?

The GUI is a bit old, even in Phoenix II form but who cares? No one is looking at the GUI save us, they are just listening to the magic

To be honest there's a lot of good tape/saturation emulations out there these days and it is early to tell if I have done the right thing purchasing this stalwart. That said, I'm finding it very versatile and controllable without overloading on the controls, if you know what I mean?!

Hope that helps!

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Every tape emulation is the most realistic, most authentic, most magical, most groundbreaking development ever. And every plugin "makes its way onto every track in every session we do."

:^|
Word.

Just replying to this thread has made my typing sweeter and more vintage-looking.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
I can't really comment about Heat, although I like what I heard it does very much. I wish they would just make Heat Native too

They could well be sonically related coming from the same designer. However, Phoenix has many more sonic options than Heat which as I remember just has two knobs?

The GUI is a bit old, even in Phoenix II form but who cares? No one is looking at the GUI save us, they are just listening to the magic

To be honest there's a lot of good tape/saturation emulations out there these days and it is early to tell if I have done the right thing purchasing this stalwart. That said, I'm finding it very versatile and controllable without overloading on the controls, if you know what I mean?!

Hope that helps!

Stephen
Thanks. I tried a demo of it years ago and liked it. I liked Peacock as well. I just don't know if it would be worth it now that I have HEAT and the Abby Road bundle.

HEAT is simple to use but man, good sound is good sound and it has it in spades.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/