Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 AM

Default How to connect external effects to M-box pro

I want to connect an external reverb to the M-box pro , but I'm not sure how to do it w/o blowing something up .
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Default Re: How to connect external effects to M-box pro

A little more info would be helpful. Do you have the new Mbox 3 Pro, or the old Mbox 2 Pro? I assume it's a stereo reverb? And does it have digital connections as well as analog?

I'm going on the assumption it's the new Mbox 3 Pro.

If it's analog connections, your best bet is to go from Mbox Pro line out 3-4 to the reverb, and then come back from the reverb to line in 3-4 on the Mbox.

Then, in Protools, set up an aux track, and create a send to that aux track from the track you want to send through the reverb.

On the aux track, in the insert section, instead of selecting "plug in" or "buss", you select "I/O". There, you can choose output 3-4. Now your signal is running through the reverb, just as if it was a plugin. You adjust your wet/dry mix using the send fader on the track you sent to the aux track.

Assuming you do it this way, then on your actual reverb unit, whatever sound you're using, make sure it's set to 100% wet.

If your reverb has digital connections, then use the digital spidf connections on your Mbox to and from the reverb unit. Set up everything the same way, only on the aux track, when you select I/O in the inserts, select "spidf" instead of 3-4.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 AM

I have the latest M-box pro ,,,I assume it's 3 ... On a PDF file it shows going into the insert #1 on the back of the unit ... then in & out of the reverb ,,,which is a Lex ...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 AM

The insert is NOT what you should use. That's only for when you're using the built in preamps and want to record using an outboard compressor or EQ. You don't want to record your reverb that way, because you can't undo it.

Doing it the way I said, you can monitor through the reverb while recording, without actually recording it, and then you can add it during mixdown. The insert jacks you referred to will not work for adding it during the mix.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The insert is NOT what you should use. That's only for when you're using the built in preamps and want to record using an outboard compressor or EQ. You don't want to record your reverb that way, because you can't undo it.

Doing it the way I said, you can monitor through the reverb while recording, without actually recording it, and then you can add it during mixdown. The insert jacks you referred to will not work for adding it during the mix.
Say I want to record reverb and delay directly. Would I have my external fx connected to the inserts 1-4? How would I do this in stereo?