Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Pro Control and PT10, send causes crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Yes, truly a nightmare to rename everything.

C'mon Avid. Let's at least get a final fix for this simple yet critical problem for us PT10 / Pro Control users.
I'll be willing to pay for this fix, Avid do you want my money???
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Orozco View Post
I'll be willing to pay for this fix, Avid do you want my money???
Yes, they do want your money. But perhaps not in the way that you would like ... they want us all to buy a new control surface instead of using our perfectly good, and better-designed last generation. The Pro Control design still looks great and Icon looks dated already.

The silence makes me wonder whether this was a deliberate act to break functionality.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Flipping to send also often crashes my PT 9.06 with my yamaha DM2000.
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -
Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM

the PC has been officially unsupported for the last few versions of Pro Tools
no testing is done for it
no fixes are coded for it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Avid

Post Re: Pro Control and PT10, send causes crash

Quote:
The silence makes me wonder whether this was a deliberate act to break functionality.
There was no deliberate action taken to break this.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
There was no deliberate action taken to break this.
Thank you for the response. Then what is the explanation, if you don't mind me asking?

We have had utter silence on this other than this denial prompted by my deliberately provocative prompt. We are big boys here. We can handle a technical explanation. A "why" and a "can't" are very different than a "won't".

This kind of unreasonable treatment of customers is enough to alienate even the most loyal. It seriously makes me think twice about investing in any future hardware from Avid. Remember that the Pro Control was the flagship centerpiece at one time, and is still a superbly designed piece of hardware - even in comparison with current offerings. It beats the Icon in terms of the matrix, scribble strip # characters, ergonomics, and appearance.

N.B. ... and this is really the wrong sub-forum for this thread.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Avid

Post Re: Pro Control and PT10, send causes crash

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Then what is the explanation, if you don't mind me asking?
We have had utter silence on this other than this denial prompted by my deliberately provocative prompt. We are big boys here. We can handle a technical explanation. A "why" and a "can't" are very different than a "won't".
This kind of unreasonable treatment of customers is enough to alienate even the most loyal. It seriously makes me think twice about investing in any future hardware from Avid.
Root cause is unknown. It hasn't been investigated by Engineering since the ProControl isn't supported by Pro Tools 10. While not deliberately disabled, official support of the ProControl ended with Pro Tools 8 (Pro Tools 9 was released in Nov 2010, 12+ years after ProControl first shipped.)

And we actually did chime in on the thread last Dec to try and help. Postman graciously contributed a workaround.

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 04-24-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Moving from Pro Tools Post & Surround to ProControl.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Well, Pro Control appears as a current device under Peripherals/Ethernet Controllers when using the latest version of Pro Tools, and the default IO setup for any of the current Pro Tools Templates includes more than 8 characters in the Bus Names. As supplied, this causes a SWOD Hard Crash when fader flipped to show sends on Pro Control.

If this doesn't qualify for a bug fix I don't know what does.

C'mon it's rare to have the exact conditions of a bug so nailed down. Surely the good will generated among your loyal customers is worth one of your resident genius programmers to spend a few hours fixing this problem. No?

I bet all the Pro Control users would even pay an additional fee to have this fixed. Or we could take the programmer out for some beers. ;-) ... I know I would.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 PM

second that
Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Well, Pro Control appears as a current device under Peripherals/Ethernet Controllers when using the latest version of Pro Tools, and the default IO setup for any of the current Pro Tools Templates includes more than 8 characters in the Bus Names. As supplied, this causes a SWOD Hard Crash when fader flipped to show sends on Pro Control.

If this doesn't qualify for a bug fix I don't know what does.

C'mon it's rare to have the exact conditions of a bug so nailed down. Surely the good will generated among your loyal customers is worth one of your resident genius programmers to spend a few hours fixing this problem. No?

I bet all the Pro Control users would even pay an additional fee to have this fixed. Or we could take the programmer out for some beers. ;-) ... I know I would.
I could not have said it any better! +1!

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins