Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-15-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: New chipset compatibility, can we get a Dimension?

Hey Meeker, did you get a hub? If so, were the results positive?
What about plugging it into the monitor's usb plugs? were the results consistent?
I feel your pain, this is silly.
I own an mbox and am dying to buy a new pc myself.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:49 AM

The front port ultimately failed with the interrupt error, so I'm using that port for the "bundle" iLok key and have reattached the Mbox to the monitor (a different port than before). I still haven't had a chance to use it with a powered mic, but it works well as long as I unplug it before turning off the monitor. All sample sessions play fine and recording is clean. I might get a chance this weekend to play around some more and I'll post an update. Hopefully I won't fry anything...

-meeker
Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 AM

Here is everything I know on this chipset problem.
The Intel 925X chipset, which is installed in all new Dell Dimension 8400 computers has an inherent problem supplying enough current to the USB ports (all 8). The normal spec is 500mA supplied, and for unknown reasons, the 925X chipset does not perform to the correct levels. Having these USB ports underpowered results in pops, clicks, and other unwanted noises in the output of the Mbox. It also interupts any recording or playback into or out of Pro Tools. The problem also occured in Reason, playing my MIDI keyboard thru my USB MIDI interface and out the Mbox. I called Dell, and they could offer no solution other than upgrading to the 925EX chipset for a $400 fee.
I bought a Belkin powered USB hub at Best Buy for 39.99, and it works like a charm. All previous problems, error messages, pops etc are gone. While this is an "Unsupported" workaround, it works. At least it works for me. I have my Mbox and my MIDI interface plugged into 2 of the 4 powered USB ports. All other USB devices I have are plugged into the computer itself. There is one other option that I did not try. Buying a seperate USB PCI card with its own controller. It may also work. I can now move on to more important things, like making music.
Hope this long winded post helps any who thought they bought a "cutting edge" system when they bought a Dell, and ended up with this problem.
Bob
Old 02-23-2005, 07:56 PM

That sounds promising.
So this powered hub made it all ok with the mbox on an 8400.
No probs at all now?? The fact that they come with SP2 pre-installed didn't give you problems either? should we say halleluja?...

It might finally be time to upgrade to one of these machines. I have a ton a of mixing to do and my pc just won't hack it anymore. There are really good deals on dells through xpbargains.com or edealinfo.com if anyone's in the market.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Your detailed response was very helpful. i purchased a dell 8400 last august hoping for a plug and play set up w/the mbox and, after much troubleshooting and the warranty had expired, discovered the incompability w/the 925X chipset.

now, just in the last week, i discovered the possibility of replacing my motherboard and chipset (to the "approved" 925XE) on the Dell. i haven't yet called spare parts at dell to find out the price, but the tech account rep said it should be less than $500 (you mentioned $400). i was about to do this - delighted to have this option - but then checked this chat room and saw your message. so, do i really need to upgrade the chipset or can i just use the pre november 15, 2004 dell 8400 model (the date when they changed from 925x to 925XE, according to the tech account rep today) and use this power hub that you mentioned? if for $40 i can fix this problem and finally get the mbox working the way people rave, ill be thrilled.

please forgive my technical ignorance, but can you pls explain exactly where i plug in this 'hub' once i have it and any other configurations beyond 'plug and play' that i should know? Does the hub plug into one (more than one?) of the six usb ports on the back of the machine and then the mbox (im only working with an mbox and a mic) plugs into the hub? again, i apologize for the ignorance, but the more specific you can be in explaining this, the better.

thank you very much!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Have any of you techies put an amp meter on the MBox yet to see if it is within the 1/2 amp USB spec at full bore (both pre's at max and 48v phantom, and headphones maxed out)?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:05 PM

The power in the "powered" USB hub comes from an AC wall outlet. The hub plugs into the wall, which gives the 4 available USB ports the correct 500ma capability that they should have. Unfortunately, the motherboard with the 925X chipset does not provide the levels necessary to meet the nominal USB standards. This apparently is a well known problem as I have learned so there in no need to measure the current out of the Mbox as the powered hub works perfectly. I have been actively using it for weeks with absolutely no glitches. Just plug the Mbox into one of the 4 USB ports on the powered hub. I also plug my USB interface from my keyboard into the powered hub. Plug the powered hub into any of the six rear or two front USB ports on the PC and you're ready to go. (I use one in the back)I still have my printer, optical mouse etc plugged into the PC USB ports because they do not use the current that the Mbox uses and have not failed in any way. I would not recommend replacing the motherboard with the new chipset unless you like spending money for no reason. The Dell 8400 with the 925X chipset has worked great for all other applications including video capture. With a $40 hub, you can also use the Mbox to record etc etc. Hope this clears up the questions.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: New chipset compatibility, can we get a Dimens

judging by the headroom of the headphone amp, i'm assuming it's within the 500mA spec.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:08 AM

Hi facelessId !

What's the model of the Belkin hub that you use?
I recently bought two of the Dell 8400 computers with the banned 925x chipset
so this sounds like happy news for me.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:10 PM

will this also work with a 915 chipset need to know cause Im about to sell my mbox