Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Pro Tools 7 won't start with Digi 002 rack, hardware not recognized

I've had a Digi 002 rack and have been using it without any real issue on a windows machine for the last 5 years or so, running Pro Tools 7.

I moved and had to get a new machine to run Pro Tools. I uninstalled on the windows machine, then bought a PowerMac G5 dual processor, circa 2006, hoping that it would interface OK with my older Pro Tools setup.

I installed Pro Tools 7 on the Mac, which is running OS X 10.5.3. When I try to open the Pro Tools software, I receive a message saying that "Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program." The program has never actually made it past the startup screen.

When I try starting Pro Tools and the Digi002R is turned OFF, I get a different error message, stating "Unable to locate Digidesign hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected, etc..."

When I start Pro Tools and hold down the "N" key, the "Playback Engine" menu appears, with the heading "Digi 002 Settings." It would seem, then, that the Digi 002 is communicating or recognized in some way by the computer. The little green "link" light is illuminated on the back of the Digi002R. The mute button also functions, leading me to believe it isn't the power harness issue. My firewire drive works in all the ports, so I know the firewire is functional. Is there a driver update or a patch somewhere out there? All the Avid pages redirect me to stuff trying to get me to upgrade to Pro Tools 11.

I have spent hours trying to filter through forum messages and to find a solution that would work, but nothing successful yet. I have repaired disk permissions. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools several times, with and without the DigiDesign Core Audio box checked. No luck still.

I never got this message on the windows machine. I remember it just starting up and going following installation.

Do I need a different version of OS X? On the Pro Tools 7 CD, it says "Mac OS X 10.4" but I assumed it would work with a newer OS. Can I downgrade the OS X to match Pro Tools better? My intent is that this computer do nothing but serve as a recording computer. I'll do whatever it takes to make it run Pro Tools, but I'd rather be able to do so without having to buy new software if possible. Any suggestions?

And I realize I'm a cheapskate and running old software with old hardware. I just want it to work, seeing as it was made around the same time and I've paid Digidesign their money for their product.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7 won't start with Digi 002 rack, hardware not recognized

You need 10.4. I don't think PT7 was ever compatible with anything newer. In fact, 7.3 was not even compatible with 10.5.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28 PM

OK, well if I'm running OS X 10.5.3, it appears that PT 7.4 would be compatible with it. I'm hesitant to throw down $150 on a download of 7.4... do you think that would/could resolve the issue and allow me to use PT again?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the tip--bought the 7.4 upgrade and it works great!