Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Learning alot about Reason but currently stuck

Well, in a way I'm good. I'm still not seeing any actual representation of what I'm hearing. But out of curiosity I recorded a bass track to the redrum track, then bounced to disc and imported the two into Itunes. And there it was, sounding fine. Burned a CD of it and it sounds perfect. It's a head scratcher to me, but the end result is it's usable.

Can you think of any issue's here or should I just go with it?

One wierd thing though, that maybe someone can explain. After recording the bass to Audio track 1 I noticed the input labeled itself "A 1-2.L" and Audio track 2 labeled itself "A 1-2.R". Any idea why that occurred or what these labels mean?

Thank you for your patience and help. I do have a nice little demo under way here despite all the newbie confusion.
8 GB
Protools First/Scarlett 2i4
Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Meanie View Post
Well, in a way I'm good. I'm still not seeing any actual representation of what I'm hearing. But out of curiosity I recorded a bass track to the redrum track, then bounced to disc and imported the two into Itunes. And there it was, sounding fine. Burned a CD of it and it sounds perfect. It's a head scratcher to me, but the end result is it's usable.

Can you think of any issue's here or should I just go with it?

One wierd thing though, that maybe someone can explain. After recording the bass to Audio track 1 I noticed the input labeled itself "A 1-2.L" and Audio track 2 labeled itself "A 1-2.R". Any idea why that occurred or what these labels mean?

Thank you for your patience and help. I do have a nice little demo under way here despite all the newbie confusion.
Anything that's rewired into Pro Tools you don't have to record as audio before bouncing/printing. The rule is that if you can hear it, it'll be in the bounce. I prefer to have all virtual instruments printed as audio in PT before I do the final mix.

If you go to Setup > I/O Setup, you'll see how all the channels/paths are labelled. The first stereo input is normally called A 1-2, and this input consists of two mono channels/paths. A 1-2.L for the left channel, and A 1-2.R for the right channel. You can change their names if you like, but it's nothing to worry about.

BTW - you should definitely start naming your audio tracks before you record. The recorded audio takes the name of the track, and it is better to look for a region called Bass 17_****** than Audio 17_******. Get it?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Not all of this is making sense to me. When you say you recorded a bass to the redrum track, do you mean you had set up an audio track to record the Re-Drum on? And then decided to use it to record a bass line? DId you play a live bass or what?

Re-reading this thread let me see if this makes sense. You create an instrument track, on that track you instantiate Reason via re-wire. In Reason, you select Re-drum, and create or call up a drum loop you like. Then you hit play on Re-drum and hear it, but you don't see anything on the instrument track. You should see a couple of things. First, on the Reason mixer at the top of the Reason rack (or the virtual rack), you should see one of the tracks is labeled Re-Drum and you should see the volume indicator moving up and down with the beat on the input AND the output. ALso, on the instrument track you should see the volume indicator moving up and down with the beat. Do you?

What you WON'T see on the instrument track is any MIDI data being written because with Reason Adapted 3.0 you can't export any of the MIDI data from Re-Drum. You can, however, copy MIDI data onto the instrument track and use that to play whichever REason instrument you wish, including Re-Drum. So, if you had a MIDI loop from elsewhere, and you put that loop onto the instrument track with Re-Drum, that MIDI data will play re-drum. That's nice, because it allows you to audition different drum kits. If you have the free re-fill from Propellerhead (which you can download off the website), then you'll have several drum kits to pick from on the Re-Drum folder.

Now...if you want to make an audio track of whatever your re-drum track is playing, you need to add an audio track, then set the output of the instrument track to one of your empty busses...maybe 1&2 or 10&11..whatever is empty. And make sure the INPUT on the audio track is the same buss. This is what was mentioned up-thread. (If stereo, its two busses). Record arm the track, and you should see the volume indicator on the audio track moving in tandem with the volume indicator on the instrument track when Re-drum is playing.. If you hit record, then you should see the audio data print to the audio track as you record it.
Is that what you're saying you're not seeing?

It was a little un-clear from the way you said what you were doing to tell exactly what it is you're NOT seeing. I think you're saying you're not seeing any midi data being written to the instrument track when you play the re-drum loop. And you won't. But then it seems like you're saying you're not seeing anything showing up on an audio track you're trying to record re-drum to. So, not quite sure.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 PM

I had this same problem a few days ago but now here's the weird thing.

I'm able to print audio to protools, I see the wave form being made in real time as reason is playing back, but once I stop, select and play the new wave form, I hear nothing!

Someone help!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemusicjunky View Post
I had this same problem a few days ago but now here's the weird thing.

I'm able to print audio to protools, I see the wave form being made in real time as reason is playing back, but once I stop, select and play the new wave form, I hear nothing!

Someone help!
Without knowing your exact set up, where are you routing the audio output of the track? Be sure it is going to your main audio output, or whatever output you use to monitor your tracks. Its possible you have it set to NONE or something other than where it should go.