Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 AM

Default Artist and Control 24 users with experience. Comparisons please

Artist and Control 24 users with real experience on each, could you tell me if there is much difference between the quality of faders rides and touch response as well as automation using the faders.

Im a Control 24 user but it looks like the era is over now and I have to consider new options.
Iv considered a C/24 if I can afford it and I am also considering a Artist series with 32 channels and transport controls.

How well does it write fader automation and how real time are the faders.
When you bank channels will all 4 fader packs bank at the same time or not.

In short do you think I would regret or mis the quality of a nice console style surface like the Control 24
or does the Artist series perform just as well.
I had a Mackie D8B but the response wasn't very good at all very delayed fader moves.
Something like that is not useful to me.

Any comments would be great.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Artist and Control 24 users with experience. Comparisons please

I currently have a control 24 in studio A and an artist mix and artist control in studio B.

There is a quality difference on the fader feel between the artist series and the control 24, that being said, the newer c24 faders to me feel about the same as the artist series faders. the old control 24 wins but not by a huge margin, its much less noticeable than shifting between something high end like an icon, system 5, ssl etc.

The responsiveness and integration of eucon is head and shoulders above the hui protocol, its tight and works well and gives you a wealth of options to play with.

In my experience the control 24 is a monitoring section, a transport and faders. I never did do many pan moves or plug in automation on the console itself, then again I work in post production for TV mostly so that is different from a lot of people. For my use the Artist series stuff is fine and does the job well. I dont feel cheated or let down in studio B wishing I had my old control 24, thats for sure. In fact when we re tool studio A for Pro Tools 11 and the future we may end up with artist series controllers there too, although clients do like flashing lights and knobs... not that it makes any difference to my work flow.

MKD Creative
Old 05-04-2013, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I really like the idea of a console or a control surface at very least.
When I first started with Pro Tools the Control 24 sped up my workflow instantly.
I find myself not using the faders as much as when I first got it, But when I need faders I need faders.
Having the assortment of instant buttons really helps me and the artist series doesn't have that.
Plus it really does make a studio look a lot more professional and hopefully that will pay for itself
considering the artist series isn't really any cheaper with 4 fader, edit and transport packs than a C/24.

Thanks I was hoping you would say the faders are much better , that would have sold me but a downgrade and losing everything else along with it just doesn't do it for me.

I might have to stick it out with 10 or 11 or what ever instalment the Control 24 stops working and get the newest unreleased C/24mkIII or what ever they call it.
At least I could hope to get a solid decade of use from it then.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 AM

Hey P,B,S,
I owned a Control 24 and a 32 fader ProControl rig. I hated the ergonomics of the Control 24 but I did like the ProControl! However, I sold the ProControl rig and went with 3 Artist Mix's, Artist Control,and a Transport after the "Legacy" announcement with the older products was made. To me, the Artist Control makes it worth having. It allows you to do things instantly and it's customizable for your workflow. I hated the feel of the Artist Series "cheap" feeling fader caps so I replaced all of them with new metalized ones that are the same size and style as the ProControls. I found them cheap on Ebay. It gave the faders a more pro feel and look. My biggest issue is the "banking" fader issue that will hopefully be fixed in the next Eucon software release. My workaround has been to use "Show/Hide" markers and control them with the Artist Control touch screen.
See it here: www.reflectiveproductionsandrecording.com
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL