Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Pro Tools PC for post

I am running a test for a magazine with the new Pro Tools PC and HD native thunderbolt and omni. I am comparing PT 10 with 11 and comparing running as a hackingtosh too with windows and also mojo and deck link studio solutions. Lots of fun....

Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools PC for post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
I am running a test for a magazine with the new Pro Tools PC and HD native thunderbolt and omni. I am comparing PT 10 with 11 and comparing running as a hackingtosh too with windows and also mojo and deck link studio solutions. Lots of fun....

Cheers
Please direct us to your review once you are finished your tests. I am very interested in the Hackintosh, but I don't care for running PT on Windows. My main concern with HD native is that my sessions are too large and plugin intensive for the HD native would choke. Have you reviewed how and HDX 1 compares to a TDM Accel 2?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Cheers
I don't understand why anyone would want to run Mac OS X on this. No support from Rain Computers and no support from Apple - a lose lose situation. Anyone who says "I don't like Windows" clearly hasn't used Windows 7 and is probably going on experiences from 10 years ago.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
My main concern with HD native is that my sessions are too large and plugin intensive for the HD native would choke.?
Lots of users are finding HD Native on an i7 is more powerful and an HD Accel system on a Mac Pro, even more so now with PT11. Look at Avid's PT11 demo running 150 tracks from HD Native
Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to run Mac OS X on this. No support from Rain Computers and no support from Apple - a lose lose situation. Anyone who says "I don't like Windows" clearly hasn't used Windows 7 and is probably going on experiences from 10 years ago.
I used Windows from 3.11 until Windows 7. Since I grew accustomed to OSX over the past 4 or 5 years I have to say, that Windows is an annoying, complicated and ridiculous operating system I don't ever want to use again. Never, ever, ever.

This is clearly a subjective matter, but your statement is not true. I don't like Windows, and this includes Windows 7.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM

This is not a win v mac slagging centre - please go get therapy.
It is however looking like a really great computer for post and it can run either OS...

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
This is not a win v mac slagging centre - please go get therapy.
I couldn't afford the amount and quality of therapy I'd need, but thanks for your concern.

The PT-PC is an overpriced computer, and nothing special really. You could get a much better system for that same price. But I'm guessing this isn't topic of this thread as well, so I won't distract you from testing it any further. My sincere apologies, good sir.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 07-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I couldn't afford the amount and quality of therapy I'd need, but thanks for your concern.

The PT-PC is an overpriced computer, and nothing special really. You could get a much better system for that same price. But I'm guessing this isn't topic of this thread as well, so I won't distract you from testing it any further. My sincere apologies, good sir.
For a purpose-built machine, fully tested and guaranteed, I don't think it is overpriced. It's certainly no more than an iMac and by the time you've customised a Mac mini that's not much less either. Anyway, in other news, I look forward to Mike's review.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
For a purpose-built machine, fully tested and guaranteed, I don't think it is overpriced. It's certainly no more than an iMac and by the time you've customised a Mac mini that's not much less either. Anyway, in other news, I look forward to Mike's review.
Imo, a machine with an i7 3770 CPU and 8GB of RAM is neither a real PT workhorse nor is there any reason that justifies this price tag.
It sure is a good alternative if you don't want to buy a Mac, but those are overpriced as well, so no real point here.

Look at http://pearc.de/home-en. Those are customizable and I think one of those would be cheaper than the PT-PC while offering the same benefits (tested and guaranteed).

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
As an alternate perspective on this:

I very recently purchased a Z77x-UP5-TH motherboard & i7 3770K CPU (+ 16Gb RAM) which I believe is the motherboard & cpu combo for 'The Pro Tools PC' and I'm having a total DPC latency nightmare with it.

Right now, I very much wish I'd paid up for 'the PT PC' as it's clear it's not just the parts but also the config that goes toward tested & guaranteed performance with Pro Tools. Neil & Rain are to be applauded for the idea of providing a known good, will work, solution for PC Pro Tools users that is also suitable for running a certain alternate OS if required.

Mike, I look forward to your review. In the meantime, give that machine hell!

DPC latency can be the fault of some components in the system. To find them out takes some time but eventually can get solved. I had a problem with that in the past and it turned out that the BIOS on the MB was the culprit. Flashing it to an updated version cured the problem. Other timeas are the graphics drivers, it can be many sources.

Anyway, I too look forward to the results of the test. It´s always interesting to check solutions for a good working system, be it OSX or WIN.

To be honest, I work with both MAC and WIN and for me both are fine. Of course in the MAC front, you pay the price for the trends as well

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3