Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Eucon 2.6.2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDaveDave View Post
Congrats Avid... congrats.

Funny that I just replaced my Yamaha 01x with this for a control surface because Yamaha dropped support for it and all of mLan.

I'd thought that since Avid had JUST picked up Euphonix and even rebranded and remodeled the hardware that it was safe to assume that it would be supported for a LONG time to come. Or at least supported.

Stupid me.
You really have to wonder why a company would buy a programmable console brand and not have a one or two dedicated programmers. They are cutting at the strength of their product - it's just bad business.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM

Default how much more can you take, AVID?

how many more of this 'trash talk' topics AVID can take before you guys starting to care??

or do we have to keep bombarding this forum forever and ever until we get the bl**dy updates we need????

or are you guys just pretending that nothing is happening outside your tiny square office?

am i diverting my anger at AVID? YES, I AM. i've been patience enough.

1 whole stupid year with no update....

AVID is running a great loss. Continue this way and soon AVID will be yesterday's talk.

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 11-05-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Merged with "Happy Belated Birthday, Eucon 2.6.2!!!"
Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 AM

The latest one, which i believe, is over a year old. And i know it was a fine update. Obviously the world keeps spinning. And new gears come out, and yes, an update should be in order. 2.6.2 worked great on my old MBP, sadly it died so i had to get a new one, MBPr. The retina model isnt perfect but it does its job very well for me, and it has been way too long since it came out and AVID is yet to response. I dont know what excuse they'll be using this time. But the fact is, Sibelius was fine before the takeover, and in my very honest opinion, so was Euphonix. It was a great news that AVID merge all of that together, well at the time. And that was it. Nothing more.

Does 2.6.2 work with my new MBPr? Yes, it does. But like many others, restart, reboot, reconnect, and many other 'REs' are the bonus i dont need. I'll be repeating myself saying this but, i bought this expensive thing expecting it to help my workflow not slowing it down.

This may be a little off the topic but giving the company's status, i fear they may no longer have the ability to develop products that werent originate by AVID. Sorry if i'm out of line, but that's how i feel, and i'm sure many would agree.

Sibelius is a great proof to that argument. Many people i know switched to Finale because Sibelius can no longer provide them with their needs. It used to, but not anymore.

AVID takes money and profit from us, users, its their job to make sure that it works properly. Simple as that. And 1 update per year isnt gonna do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 AM

Oh, forgot to say. The hub thing, yeah i know it kinda helps with connection issues right? Somehow that isnt much of a problems for me, but Eucon keeps crashing! Actually it crashes most things running, that does bother me a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 AM

Default Re: how much more can you take, AVID?

... AND - the Avid hardware does not "work" under Mountain Lion. Many people in my professional circles are experiencing the same issues, no different to some people on this forum. And by work, I mean more than temporary, flaky, inconsistent and buggy behavior at best, also in conjunction with known issues where some aspects do not function at all. An update is needed, not just because it has been over 12 months, but because the current software fails to deliver. Professional? Not even close. I can live without updates if something works but for heaven's sake this P.O.S. is pathetic.

Avid, divest yourself of this product and sell it to someone who cares because you are not going to be making much money off this product for too much longer if you kjeep this up. Markets are slow to react when the promise of "solutions" are imminent, but when strung along for too long it will take a lot more to regroup what you have lost. Talked to any high-end retailers recently? The ones I know are moving customers away from this avid series and into different directions to avoid their own embarrassment at not being able to support an unsupportable product - and rightly so.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
guys...once again...you shouldn't be running the latest OS for Avid Pro applications...every generation of new OS has bugs to be ironed out...ALWAYS...and remember Apple is a direct competitor to Avid...of course the latest OS updates are gonna mess with your Avid workflow...stop being the guinea pigs already
Utter BS, really.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Stewartfang, thanks, but either your statement is completely incorrect, misinformed, or your sarcasm has been underplayed. Not true in the slightest. Early adopter status expired many many months ago, and the underlying OS has not changed THAT much from Lion that serious flaws should remain un-patched MONTHS after the Avid team knew about them in detail. ALL my apps, including all my other apps from Avid, are mountain Lion aware and compliant. This one - not even close. Broken, unpatched, unusable. Have you tried buying a new computer recently - guess what OS it comes with? Guess what OS Avid have had access to for many many months, if not close to a year? No wonder retailers are backing away from this product. It's a real shame, I am so saddened to see it happen, but it is what it is.

Early adopter? That ticket has well and truly expired.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
guys...once again...you shouldn't be running the latest OS for Avid Pro applications...every generation of new OS has bugs to be ironed out...ALWAYS...and remember Apple is a direct competitor to Avid...of course the latest OS updates are gonna mess with your Avid workflow...stop being the guinea pigs already

Are you kidding? The latest OS has been around for too long already. And frankly I don't think there's anything wrong with MOVING FORWARD at all time. This is what technology is all about, not staying in one place, otherwise you would just get run over. And I agree very much with others, this is total BS.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with my three artist mixes and one artist control. They work like a charm.
They don't work as required here, on Lion, Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

Quote:
Of course I know that Apple FORCES pros to use the latest OS..they make it impossible to work off of an OS that is a couple of generations old....with a new box.
As a Pro I chose to switch some of my computers to Mountain Lion for the large amounts of other apps that require Mountain Lion for full featured operations. Lots of developers of high-end software are no longer developing for obsolete systems.

Quote:
And yes there is problem with staying on the leading edge of the curve when using Pro applications.
I agree with the part of your statement that I kept, and only adopt early on my development machines / servers. However your observation is completely irrelevant to this thread. Again I remind you - this is not leading edge and hasn't been for a while now.

Quote:
consistently causing yourself headaches and valuable time when you have a perfectly great set of tools already is the sign of insecurity and really discourages folks from working with you. No one cares that you have the latest. They only care that when they pay you, you deliver.
Of course, and again stating the obvious. However, again, not the point. I do not have a perfectly great set of tools already. Doesn't work fully in Leopard, snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. Great that it works for you - lovely. Awesome indeed. Not for me and many others. Everything else Avid does - not this. Protools updates for instance are regular and meaningful, not this.

Quote:
Having a set of tools that is reliable is HUGE. Messing with that constantly is really bush-league IMO.
Well said. No argument here, I completely agree with you that Avid's approach to managing this software and hardware is bush league. I couldn't have said it better myself. Do you mind if I quote you?

Quote:
Stay a couple gens behind and everything will be fine.
facepalm. double facepalm. Seriously? Stay a couple of gens behind and be unable to run the software that my studios, media houses, etc require to be fully competitive and working at their full creative, functional and productive potential. Sorry, but high-end pros make complex decisions on a daily basis where we have to balance lots of complex, competing, contrary and sometimes paradoxical elements in order to maintain mission critical operations at their highest levels of output. The Euphonix/Avid hardware is not the centre of our operations, being relegated to annoying paperweights in the corner of one of our media rooms. I feel sorry for those who ARE working as professionals and for any range of reasons are trying to rely on this combination of software/hardware.

Thanks for your observations, however they are not relevant to the months of discussions around these issues that have been patiently allowed to develop in this forum. 5 months ago parts of your comments would have been relevant, but no longer. I understand that a forum is quite often a place where people take a minimal amount of time to read things through quickly, to oversimplify responses, to superficially impose their circumstances on others and to apply reductionist reasoning to complex issues - so my response here is not an attack on anyone, merely an attempt to offer my personal clarification that such facile reductionist statements are not in any way addressing the issues plaguing many of us at the moment.

EDIT - PS - dear all - for our own sanity and sake, this discussion thread has NOTHING to do with Avid / Apple. NOTHING. The post immediately above mine was posted while I was writing this reply so I have only just seen it. Please rise above and let the moderators clear any attempts to initiate a flaming war that serves no benefit other than to obscure the real issues we are dealing with. My personal and humble thanks if restraint can be shown. That is all I will say on the matter. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 AM

StewartFang, why do they invent new technology all the time? Why didnt BMW stopped couple of years ago, why did they keep on inventing new models?
Imagine most of the big company had settled for 'old versions', would we have hybrid cars today? Would we have cell phones? Coming from someone whose works rely on new and upcoming tech, you surprised me!

What do computer-based musicians want the most? Amazing samples, right? And how do amazing samples work? Using an old Mac? We stay upgraded for best results possible. Because music is all about every little details. Should you be so careless enough to leave one out then perhaps you arent one. Imagne that Steinway never bothered to remodel their forte piano into the modern one we have nowadays. ....