How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Default External SSD over Ethernet connection

Hi,

I wonder if Pro tools would run sessions from an ethernet connected ssd drive? It should right? I mean, ethernet has 1Gb/s of transfer rate, not to speak of 10 Gb ethernet.

What do you think?

THanks
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Default Re: External SSD over Ethernet connection

Personally I wouldn't. A USB 3.0 would be 5 times faster than a 1Gb ethernet connection. Internal SATA up to 6Gbs, and NVMe up to 16Gbs. I think you would be setting yourself up for errors/crashing.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:56 PM

You probably can playback a session if your Disk Cache is large enough to cache the entire session into RAM. But then you're not really playing the session over ethernet, but from local RAM. And I doubt you could record to a drive over ethernet.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR250 View Post
Personally I wouldn't. A USB 3.0 would be 5 times faster than a 1Gb ethernet connection. Internal SATA up to 6Gbs, and NVMe up to 16Gbs. I think you would be setting yourself up for errors/crashing.
I have an SSD hooked up via USB 3.0 and it hardly runs at 170Mbs, and reaches that speed after 5 sec....and that causes crashes in PT. In fact and for some reason, a 7200 spinner works like a charm over USB 3.0
Old 01-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
You probably can playback a session if your Disk Cache is large enough to cache the entire session into RAM. But then you're not really playing the session over ethernet, but from local RAM. And I doubt you could record to a drive over ethernet.
No problem recording to FreeNas server over AFP, even with 1GB ethernet from Mac Pro 5,1 - with 7 5.1 stems the network transfer is still around 10 Megabytes/sec, so plenty of bandwith left. The server has 24GB memory, so probably caches things as they go in. Also, PT Disk cache steadily grows while recording. No errors whatsoever so far. Recording as I type this with PT and Logic Pro X at the same time to the same network share.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartosz idzi View Post
No problem recording to FreeNas server over AFP, even with 1GB ethernet from Mac Pro 5,1 - with 7 5.1 stems the network transfer is still around 10 Megabytes/sec, so plenty of bandwith left. The server has 24GB memory, so probably caches things as they go in. Also, PT Disk cache steadily grows while recording. No errors whatsoever so far. Recording as I type this with PT and Logic Pro X at the same time to the same network share.
Good to know. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for mission critical recording, but printing mixes/stems to tracks, etc. would probably be fine.