Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Default quick punch with a footswitch 002r

i have been using quickpunch to punch in on tracks with a footswitch
the problem i am having is when i press the switch i have to do it twice to record enable and twice to de-activate
i am using a latching style footwitch
i have looked in all my books ( refrence guide) and all it says is to use a switch it does not say if it needs to be latching or non latching
i bought a footswitch similar to the roland fs-1 and it did not work i took it back and got a boss fs-5l which you plug your own cable into just a basic instrument cable i even made my own all methods that i have tried require you to double tap the swith

should i be using a momentary swith(like a keyboard sustain pedal) if this is the case do i have to hold it down while recording if so that sucks

i could of sworn a couple of years back i read it could use any switch
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: quick punch with a footswitch 002r

Why use a footswitch at all when you can select a recording range in the playlist, have a couple of bars of pre-roll to pick up the groove and let protools handle the punch-in/out ?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM

because with quick punch and a switch if there is multiple mistakes trhough out the song but the over all take was good but you want to correct some minor glitches say one at the begining one in the middle one at the end it is quick to punch in and out and take care of everything in one pass

the method you speak of is great but with multiple punches it allows me to get it done on the fly
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM

Yeah...makes sense. Would be faster once you find the proper switch.
I guess I was so glad to be done with manual punching from the old 4-trak cassette days, I never really looked back. Fostex used to have switches that looked like turkey-basters....they used a little puff of air to switch. Real smooth
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM

i did some more research it looks like a momentary switch is what is neede like a keyboard sustain pedal
i am still wondering if i will have to hold the switch down while recording
that would suck but on the other hand i did find that the latching swith will work just have to tap it twice
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Get quick enough with edits and that foot switch will go away. I had one for about a day and realized that a pre roll is all you need. Make markers through the song where a FIX needs to go and then just tab to the marker, seect your part and record. The pedal got old.

My .02 cents.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 PM

I use mine a lot. And yes, a momentary is the correct type(normally open if you have a choice).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Get quick enough with edits and that foot switch will go away. I had one for about a day and realized that a pre roll is all you need. Make markers through the song where a FIX needs to go and then just tab to the marker, seect your part and record. The pedal got old.

My .02 cents.

Doc
I agree with Guitarhead. Most keyboardists will be comfortable recording while glued to a workstation table because they are a) used to having their instrument of choice perched right there in front of them, and b) used to sitting down at a station to play it. I'm a guitarist first. So sitting down when I'm playing (bellied up to a desk) is not a comfortable playing posture... at least for me.

Plus, in home or small studio situations where room is at a premium, sitting at the desk and playing an analog instrument (guitar, harmonica, brass, woodwind, percussions, vocals, etc...) means cramped quarters: you either have to queue pre-roll and play/sing sitting down (and risk dinging an instrument that's hanging around your neck or being held in the off-hand) or queue pre-roll, get up, get in position and hope you don't miss your queue. Not efficient at all unless you make provisions to mess up the first pass and plan on loop recording multiple dubs.

As a guitarist first and keyboardist second, I find that standing up to play is most comfortable (stage habit.) Tough to do that and point & click at the same time. So I prefer to set-up preroll and play in a normal posture - completely hands-off everything but the instrument so I can focus on playing and not engineering. I feel a foot switch enables that. But that's just me...

BTW... what make & model of foot switch works best with the 002/003? Preferably one I can purchase at like Sweetwater or Guitar Center? It's almost like a best-kept Digidesign secret...
003 Rack
MOTU Midi Express 128
Roland A-37 88-key Controller
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 AM

I usually use the preroll and selection method for punching, but it seems to me that quick-punch allows you to do some things that aren't available otherwise...

For example, using QP you can automatically get a crossfade, and PT has recorded audio for the entire time the transport was playing, so even if you find your punch point problematic you have lots of options. Does anyone know a way to get padding at the front of an "automated" punch like this (besides just punching in earlier)?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM

Lots of great tech talk in here. I am really interested though in brand and model names of commercially recommended foot switches that can used for QPing with the 002 and 003. With regard to recommended foot switch solutions, Digidesign (like many other questions I have posed directly to pre-sales support - which doesn't seem to exist if you're using a phone or email) seems to relish non-response, keeping a great many things under hat like they are best kept secrets known only to insiders.

I am hoping someone can make sound recommendations as there HAS to be at least one designed for use specifically with DAWs (and recommended for the Digi002/003) that doesn't require a sheepskin from Full Sail to select and purchase.
003 Rack
MOTU Midi Express 128
Roland A-37 88-key Controller