Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Default PT9 Hard Crash when creating any send

I filed a ticket for this but I get a 100% hard PT crash rate if I try to create a send to any bus or any i/o.

I tried:
- using Avid supplied sample sessions from the PT9 install disk
- creating new sessions with a single mono audio and stereo Aux track and no plugins.
- Switching between 32 and 64 bit mode.
- Using the Tech Utilities to delete prefs and restart
- Doing a complete uninstall of PT9 using the installer disc. Restart Reinstall.

All of this works fine on my MacBook Pro but so far PT9 is a hard no go on my Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 GHz with 8 GB ram.

When I say it crashes I mean I get the crash reporter window and PT disappears.

11/24/10 8:53:54 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[314]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
11/24/10 8:53:54 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[145] ([0x0-0x2e02e].com.digidesign.ProTools[298]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error
1-603-867-6843
Old 11-25-2010, 10:01 AM

Default Re: PT9 Hard Crash when creating any send

Still trying to unravel this issue.
I installed PT on another user ID on the same computer. It works fine.

So I tried comparing all running processes for both the working user and nmon working user accounts. Cleaning things up made no difference.

I cleaned up my fonts folder, eliminated all the various midi drivers and midi devices in the audio midi window. Removed every auto startup app.

Ran disk warrior. Repaired permissions. Uninstalled pro tools , used the tech utility to remove all prefs each time. Re installed PT between each step tested and still no help.

Again to reproduce this I create a new empty session. Add one audio channel and one aux. Both mono. I assign the aux input to bus 1. Then assign a send on the audio channel to bus 1.

The send window opens with no content in it followed by a hard PT crash. 100% repeatable.

Yet it works fine in the other user partition using the same system setup.

Any ideas?
1-603-867-6843
Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 AM

Default Re: PT9 Hard Crash when creating any send

Hi sdevino,

Yeah I am getting similar issues with PT 9 on my iMac 2.0 10.6.4 (Built in Audio)
It's Crashed a couple of times on creating sends, but does create them after a restart, It also crashes (by Crashing I mean 'Spinny wheel of Death' then Just Quits) when I try to add any plug in on a aux/send. This is 100% repeatable.

Also It crashes when I played a stereo audio track, stopped and then played again.

I wish I had time to trawl through all the forums and find out which settings and drivers to change etc but I don't, I'm trying to mix 36 animations before xmas and need it to just work. Looks like I'll be loading up 7.4 again tonight.

If anyone could point me to any quick fixes or things to check it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time.
Jim