Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Default PT Software Meters: Pre-fader vs Post-fader

I use artist mix and control and have been switching between the Pre-fader vs Post-fader settings in PT. I also set gain stage and use 3rd party software meters.

With said, I like the post fader setting to see if I get too close to the red while mixing.

What is the general use for the pre fader setting vs post fader setting in PT? I see advantages for both but not sure if I should use one over the other.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Re: PT Software Meters: Pre-fader vs Post-fader

There are multiple uses for either, and if your work flow changes from recording, mixing, post production etc, then you may have more use for one over the other in those similar workflows (also remember to change to which you deem more relevant when changing workflow).

Pre Fader levels are a helpful visual tool in gain staging, so if you are sending level to a lot of auxes and sub groups, you can see how much 'level' is sitting on those tracks that are feeding your subgroup. Helpful if you are juicing level with plugins and compressors and such, and you can keep an eye on how much gain you have gained, or lost through certain processing.

If for example you are in post fader, feeding a sub group, and the track faders feeing that subgroup are all sitting at -40 dBFS, and your level is crazy hot on the subgroup channel, then switching to pre-fader can help you see which of the track(s) feeding the sub group has a lot of level that is getting you that huge level makeup. (of course then there is a question of if you want that or not etc etc).

I try not to over think it,(and someone may correct me which I am all for), but I try to picture it as the visualization of:

Pre Fader ( how much energy is 'in' this track, with my processing accounted for)
Post Fader ( how much energy am I letting out of this track, on to the next stage)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Thank you very much. That nailed it. I will run through some mixes with that information and I already know that will help a lot. Thank you,
Old 01-11-2019, 03:55 PM

AFAIK, metering on the master is post-fader(which is fine in that point in the chain). Having said that, I leave everything in pre-fade so I know real levels(so I don't have clipping that is not shown due to post-fade metering and gain staging). The only time I use post-fade metering is when balancing several tracks of similar sounds, such as BGV's or strings. As soon as I have the balance I want, metering goes back to pre-fade

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Thank you for time on this. I will be going through this process and trying to better my mixes. Thank you!