Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Pro Tools crashes when entering record mode

I'm using a macbook(an older one) with 2ghz intel core 2 duo and 4 gb of RAM. It has OS X version 10.6 and I'm using Pro Tools 9. (never updated some of this stuff simply because it worked the way it was and why fix what isn't broken)

Anyway, explaining the issue, I had to switch the external firewire drive that I was using because my old one pooped out. The old one literally was super old. The thing is massive and has a huge fan built in with it but once again, it worked so it didn't matter. The new one however is a G drive that I had with firewire ports. This thing is no more than a year or 2 old. This one is a 1TB and when using this one Pro Tools will crash as I attempt to begin recording, not every time but after 2 or 3 times usually. This is the only thing that has changed in my setup so it makes sense that it is the issue, right?

My only idea was that in transferring my sessions to the new drive, pro tools possibly got confused by the new location of the data. I have no idea though. It also gets pretty decently hot, could I just be overworking it?

Any fixes or ideas would be greatly appreciated and let me know if you think I'm missing an important piece of information.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Question Re: Pro Tools crashes when entering record mode

Is the partition format Mac OS Extended, Journaled? Is the partition scheme GUID? Could you please post the data from the crashed thread in the crash report?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes when entering record mode

I ended up popping a new hard drive in the old one's case cause I had an extra one that fit it laying around. I think the solution to the problem though was simply that I had my newer G drive formatted with a FAT32 partition instead of MAC OS extended. Thanks for the help. The solution makes a lot of sense looking back and I probably should've thought of it!