Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2001, 12:56 AM

Default Control Surfaces...Do You Use One?

I have a Pt 24 Mix system and was considering getting a control surface. I was looking at the one from Radikal Technologies. Has anyone had any experience using it or maybe owns one. I would appreciate any comments on this or any others.

Thanks

Rob Actis
San Diego

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: voiceguy san diego ]
Old 08-23-2001, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Control Surfaces...Do You Use One?

I use a MotorMix (CM-Automation), it works great as far as you want use just the faders (not Touch-Sensitive). Well the transport bottons are not very ergonomically placed (i use the Macs keyboard for that).
BUT everything is better than fading with a mouse. It comes down how much vou can spent for a Controller.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:56 AM

The Motor Mix is about the cheapest you'll get, works well and you can run a few together. I have Motor Mix and my DA7 desk acts as a Motor Mix...... = 16 faders. But I still use the key board.

Nick
Old 08-23-2001, 01:42 PM

I've used a HUI for the past 2 years, and have been happy. I tried the motor mix before, but like the layout of the HUI more.

When editing, it's mostly keyboard and trackball, with some use of the HUI (like being able to get to dedicated buttons), but mixing it's about 30/70 betweeen keyb/trackball and the HUI. I could use the HUI more, but sometimes it's just faster to click... I love having the option...

I would like a C24 for more faders, but having a tough time dealing with the price delta, and probably could live just as happy with a pair of HUI's or a 3 Motor Mixes...
Old 08-24-2001, 12:59 AM

I have a MotorMix but find it most useful when comping tracks (vocals). Having solo and mute buttons is *so* handy. Can't get used to using the faders in a mix. I prefer now to draw in the subtle volume changes.

David
Old 08-27-2001, 08:41 AM

We use the 001 in conjunction with a Mackie HDR 24/96, and have an actual console. (see webstie for more details www.npstudios.com
Call me old school, but I just can't get a musicial feel on a mouse. Also, there are times when trying different things for a mix that I need many faders on many fingers. If I didn't have a console, I'd have a control surface.
I've seen guys fly mixing on a mouse, and my hat's off to them, but it's not for me.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:58 AM

...Well... I had a motor mix. I sold it. everything out there, until you by the C24 or Pro Control is midi based. As such, it is next to useless for me, as far as mixing. Only ether net connections allow the steps(i.e. how many stepsthe fader records; this defines the resolution. Pro Control is up there with it's analogue cousin "fling Faders" at around 1023 steps. All this midi stuff is WAY lower than that. Amatuerishly so) and speed to use effectively as faders for rides in a mix. The midi was just to slow, and it "lied" to me about the moves it did make. I agree...for "vocal comping" with a client the motor mix was acceptable...but that wasn't enough. Until I can get Pro Control I'll be improving my mouse skills.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:51 PM

Wait!
ProControl II in devolment for next year 2002
It will be VERY cool! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2001, 04:24 AM

Mind informing us where you gleaned this information from, anything else to declare?