Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 AM

Default Problems of applying purchased VIs to Protools

Gentlemen please tell me how to apply the VIs packages correctly.

The VIs are BFD2 and those from Komplete 7. I can open them all in instrument tracks, and they produce sound in the way they should if I click those on the plugin windows, the virtual keyboard in Absynth from Komplete for instance.

However, it seems they do not link with Protools at all. Because
  1. First, my MIDI Controller is not applicable on those plugins,that means I play my keyboard there is no response from the track but at the same time it works well on Xpand2.
    1. And, both the edit window and the MIDI Editor show no signal any VI assigned

I think it is the problem that I don't know how to set them up, but I really have no idea what to do. Thanks for reading this, please tell me how to work with those plugins on Protools, thanks.

MBOX2 Mini
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 (Now updated to 8.0.5)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits

Intel i7 2600 3.4GHz CPU and ASUS P8Z68V motherboard
(Previously AMD Athlon X4 630 Processor 2.81 GHz)

16GB of RAM

VST to RTAS adapter, VST plugins, BFD2, Komplete 8 Ultimate
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Problems of applying purchased VIs to Protools

Whatever track you're trying to control with your controller has to be selected (or highlighted). Usually the track name becomes white instead of some other color. That determines which track is being controlled by the controller.

Assuming these are instrument tracks, if you want to record your midi info or performance, you need to record arm the track, and hit record and play in the master transport, just like when you record regular audio.

The other way would be to use the pencil tool and add notes in that way, in the regular edit window or midi editor window.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Whatever track you're trying to control with your controller has to be selected (or highlighted). Usually the track name becomes white instead of some other color. That determines which track is being controlled by the controller.

Assuming these are instrument tracks, if you want to record your midi info or performance, you need to record arm the track, and hit record and play in the master transport, just like when you record regular audio.

The other way would be to use the pencil tool and add notes in that way, in the regular edit window or midi editor window.
Thanks nst7, but I am sorry my words were misleading. Actually I meant I know how to record VIs and it is perfect in case I am using VIs such as Xpand2 and any other imported VSTis. The problems are found only in the abovementioned plugins (RTAS format). In other words, I mentioned Xpand2 to show that I have done the "control" as an experiment, to prove my controller is fine with Protools.

I am now feeling like a child having opened boxes of (expensive) toys but don't know how to play them~! Hahuh!!

MBOX2 Mini

16GB of RAM

Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 AM

Are the miidi ins and outs (at the top of the mixer channel) set up correctly?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
Are the miidi ins and outs (at the top of the mixer channel) set up correctly?
I set exactly the same way as what I do on other VI tracks, instrument track with "no input" and to aux track.

Situation updated, this does not work on Absynth but works on Kontakt...and I am now more confused as they are both treated in the same way.

MBOX2 Mini

16GB of RAM

Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM

ya, its actually called the instrument section in the mixer view..at the very top..should be a midi in and out there..

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1280&bih=607

Its actually the bit above the circle at the top in that pic..
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
ya, its actually called the instrument section in the mixer view..at the very top..should be a midi in and out there..

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1280&bih=607

Its actually the bit above the circle at the top in that pic..
Thanks cqd, the problem is now solved. A VSTi software like BFD and IN's Absynth requires use of midi tracks to link with their channels as they support multitracks. This is the way it goes, I hope people having the same problem have reference:
  1. Create "instrument track" with the VSTi plugin, no input, output to where you need
  2. In your VSTi you may create one track or more, each comes with one specified channel. And you might control one of them (probably the first one) with your MIDI controller.
  3. To control the least, create "midi track",no input, output to your VSTi name->the respective channel.
  4. Do what cqd mentioned, highlight the respective midi track and there you go.

Thank you for reading this.

MBOX2 Mini

16GB of RAM