Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 AM

Default PT 8 Meters

I haven't yet upgraded to PT8, but I noticed the meters next to the faders now have a reference. It appears from a picture that -6dBFS (or whatever they are calling -6) is about where 0 is on the actual fader. Is this correct? It also appears the colors switch somewhere in between -10 and -16.

Are the meters configurable? I like my levels around -18dBFS - which is far down on the scale from the picture I can see. Wondering if they are configurable at all.

I will say - at least having some reference is better than none at all.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Default Re: PT 8 Meters

anyone know if the new meters are configurable?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbears1 View Post
anyone know if the new meters are configurable?
Alas, and contrary to various AES reports we read around here at the time, meter calibration seems to have been dropped from the final release version and remains NOT user-configurable. I suspect (not to mention ‘hope’) that we’ll see the feature appear with next “decimal” version of the software.

Currently, PT8 does feature level hash marks at:

0, -3, -6, -10, -16, -22, -32, and -60 dBFS.

The bar meters are colored green.
They switch to yellow at -12 dBFS.
They switch to orange at -3 dBFS.
They switch to red at -0 dBFS.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 01-01-2009, 07:58 AM

Hello. However on the bright side Pro Tools 8 now includes the TL Utilities plug in bundle which includes an excellent software metering plug in, the TL Master Meter. Granted it's not the same as having accurate metering on every audio track, send, etc. but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Yes, it seems that we’re moving in the right direction with metering in PT.

I like the very useful logging features and the oversampling measuring of the TL MasterMeter, but Wave’s Dorrough meters have already become my go-to tool for tracking and mixing.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Andre,

I have not demo'd the Waves Dorrough meters -- but I own (and use) IXL package (now from RND) -- and I know my mixes are better since religiously calibrating to Bob Katz' "K system" a few years ago. Do you use such a calibrated model for your metering? I use K-14 as default for mixing. My dynamic range is wide and RMS still punches. Not that we couldn't work without the metering, but it's just another tool...
Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Hi Jeremy.

Yes, I also adopted mixing to the K14 standard, and I track to a -20 dBFS reference. In both cases I find the Dorrough meters very useful. There’s something about their ballistics that I find matches my own perception of level and dynamics better than anything I’ve used.

Prior to the arrival of the Dorrough bundle I was using SpectraFoo. Its meters are fantastic, with near-infinite tweak options, but I also resent having to switch apps in order to reveal meters — or rob PT of some screen real estate, which is a waste. (I have no problem doing that for Foo’s RTA, which is the absolute best.)

Ironically, Waves is also being a bit wasteful with my precious pixels by way of large empty and unnecessary bezels framing the actual “working parts,” but that’s the only criticism I can level at these. For me, the positive functionality easily outweighs the lone negative.

Try the demo — it may work for you.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Also, Massey has a free meter plugin - the HR Meter. It is extremely configurable and I find it very useful. I can calibrate it to the K system quite easily. Too bad about the PT meters. Hopefully in the next rev.

You guys mix at K14? I've been mixing at K20 - sometime I saw Katz suggesting it. Would you guys recommend K14?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:49 PM

I mix at K-20 and master at K-14.