Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2023, 06:02 AM

Default Re: PT 2023.6... Is it me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
There are a lot of features I'm very appreciative of but the new feature:bug ratio has been just too high for me to keep renewing.
I've since settled on 2022.7 which I'm quite happy with (albeit my Catch 22 version of choice).

As regards Track Markers, the makeshift method I've been using in previous versions is to split the clip section and color code it with a different clip color (usually the highlight colors).
Then I'll rename the clip with the song section & concise production notes.
The highlighted clips are clearly visible and the pro-notes can be readily identified in the clips list which is set to follow the selection.

I realize that may not be as viable for extensive editing in the Post-Pro world.
I’ve also stuck with 2022.7. Every release since has had something that bothered me enough to go back. Aux I/O is the main thing I miss. I'd like to have ARA but it sounds so unreliable I'm OK without it.

As far as markers in post, I and everyone I know use empty clip groups on dedicated tracks. They can be named, edited, conformed, etc.... The new marker system is very odd and not what I envisioned at all. Plus it sounds like it's still very buggy so again I'm OK missing it.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:39 AM

It's not you. After installing 2023.6 and launching it just hangs and I get "Program NOT Responding" recalling a session under Windows 10 Pro.

De-installing and going BACK to 2023.3 as I type.

You can't make this sheet up...but they do every Quarter.

So glad I have Studio One.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 07-06-2023, 09:31 AM

I suppose im looking for a post, or announcement about what the major bugs are.
I am still running PT 2022.12, originally because newer versions dont have specific plug in support for a silicon mac. As the plug in guys slowly get there updated software, im constantly trying to remember what doesnt work and what does work.
Now it seems like i cant keep track of all the possible issues, and which ones have been fixed, which ones only effect specific users, which ones i dont care about. ITs too much. Ive never seen an update that has so many bugs that effect different users in different ways.
Is there a listing of the known issues that include all the little things that are not working.
I see many threads dealing with one issue here and there.
Nothings seems to be comprehensive. very disheartening.
I am not listing my rig details, because it shouldn't matter for this request.
I know releases come with issues, ive been doing the "wait for a stable update in PT's" for 25 years.
I really don't want to post a typical bitchin thread about features i dont like, or some quirky bug that only effects a specific type of set up.

Where is a complete list of all the issues for the latest PT release?

This is not a beta release, right? feels like a beta release.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:19 AM

I'm in a similar boat! 2021.6 and HDX on an 8-Core cheesegrater, flashed to 5,1. Mojave. UAD Octo. Super stable! (knock wood) And even after a couple of years I am astounded by how big my mix/production sessions can get with Hybrid running, considering my computer is from the Paleolithic age. I am thinking of going the Mac M2 Studio route in the near future. But every time I read about a new version of Pro Tools in these forums, all the bugs and broken legacy features and instability it makes me super nervous to upgrade! So frustrating Avid never seems to get it quite right... My only gripes with 2021.6 are occasional funkiness with ADC, and broken Mp3 import. But I'm fine with working around those so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
Good comments... I'm working on PT Ultimate 2021.6, HDX on a 12 core 2.93ghz cheesegrater and have a pretty stable system. (High Sierra) It works and rarely crashes. It does a lot. But I'm EOL on this Mac, and am terrified to upgrade when it comes time I have to. I really wish I could have ARA Melodyne but from what I've heard its a nightmare so I'm glad with what I've got that's working. As for Avid, I cut them some slack because of the war in Ukraine. It can't be easy. But still, they need better beta testing...
Old 07-06-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompers2022 View Post
I suppose im looking for a post, or announcement about what the major bugs are.
I am still running PT 2022.12, originally because newer versions dont have specific plug in support for a silicon mac. As the plug in guys slowly get there updated software, im constantly trying to remember what doesnt work and what does work.
Now it seems like i cant keep track of all the possible issues, and which ones have been fixed, which ones only effect specific users, which ones i dont care about. ITs too much. Ive never seen an update that has so many bugs that effect different users in different ways.
Is there a listing of the known issues that include all the little things that are not working.
I see many threads dealing with one issue here and there.
Nothings seems to be comprehensive. very disheartening.
I am not listing my rig details, because it shouldn't matter for this request.
I know releases come with issues, ive been doing the "wait for a stable update in PT's" for 25 years.
I really don't want to post a typical bitchin thread about features i dont like, or some quirky bug that only effects a specific type of set up.

Where is a complete list of all the issues for the latest PT release?

This is not a beta release, right? feels like a beta release.
While any current issues with 2023.6 are still being revealed you can keep an eye out on the Pro Tools Sticky section for some of the current known issues to date. versions.

Here is a list of the release notes for specific versions so you can see whats been fixed in each version. Although, I can see where one could lose their equilibrium trying to ascertain which is going to work best for you.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes

To help you get centered, here's a basic outline and list of user categories and versions with some known issues or changes.
These things may or may not effect your workflow at all depending on what facets of PT you use regularly.
This outline might help you when choosing how far to update or roll back based on your workflow & preferences:

1. 3rd party plug-in compatibility - Versions from 2022.12 to present might not allow the full use of your plug-in arsenal. Depending on if you are using Rosetta or not. I'm not fully in the know as a Windows user but is a factor.

2. ARA - Known issues from PT 2022.9 -.10 I believe. Can't say exactly, but have seen a lot of posts during that era. Check the 2022.12 release notes and related threads to see if those issues have been fixed with that version.

3. MIDI - Pro Tools 2022.6-.10 - Known issue with MIDI editing (frozen notes) although there is a feasible workaround that enables you to keep working. Fixed in 2022.12 going forward.

4. Mp3 import issues with some versions. I think 2022.10?

5. Changed GUI in Pro Tools Edit window starting with PT 2022.9. Some don't mind it, others do not prefer it.

As Tweakhead mentioned, it has been a Catch-22 lately in choosing a mainstay version. But you can usually settle based on which minor bug & feasible workaround that you can live with or which new feature(s) you can live without.

Please note that the listed versions aren't entirely unusable and it would just depend on how often you rely on those particular features.
I use 2022.7 with the existence of a couple bugs that don't have much of an impact on my regular workflow in exchange for a system I like like overall.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-07-2023 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:

5. Changed GUI in Pro Tools Edit window starting with PT 2022.9. Some don't mind it, others do not prefer it.
Some of us haven’t noticed it at all
And I am spending 100% of my time in edit window, have to take a look asap.

To the topic, yes 2023.6 has been snappier for me, but full of minor bugs so I’m testing 2022.7-2022.10 on MacPro6,1, Catalina or Monterey, to see what works same as Mojave and 2019.10 did.
That was golden combo, but unfortunately RX10, Waves v14 and so on… Bummer.

My Macbook Pro 2015 15” is rock solid with Monterey and 2022.10, maybe stick with that on trashcan too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
I'm in a similar boat! 2021.6 and HDX on an 8-Core cheesegrater, flashed to 5,1. Mojave. UAD Octo. Super stable! (knock wood) And even after a couple of years I am astounded by how big my mix/production sessions can get with Hybrid running, considering my computer is from the Paleolithic age. I am thinking of going the Mac M2 Studio route in the near future. But every time I read about a new version of Pro Tools in these forums, all the bugs and broken legacy features and instability it makes me super nervous to upgrade! So frustrating Avid never seems to get it quite right... My only gripes with 2021.6 are occasional funkiness with ADC, and broken Mp3 import. But I'm fine with working around those so far...

Hello Mr. Booty, what video card are you running with your set-up... ?? Mine is an NVIDIA 9600 GTX. Even though it is "metal capable", it is still incompatible with Mojave... hence I'm still on High Sierra... and unable to update Waves plugs, and others for example. Going to 2021.7 is an option since it is a bug fix release only. I experience some MIDI slop with 2021.6 but no problems with mp3 import.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:18 AM

I'm very happy with 2023.6 on Monterey.
I work in post for film, running hundreds of tracks and plugins, with multiple video tracks, and everything is smooth so far.
It was a pain having to upgrade to Waves v14 though.
I've had difficult versions in the past so maybe it's just my time to have a trouble free system.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
While any current issues with 2023.6 are still being revealed you can keep an eye out on the Pro Tools Sticky section for some of the current known issues to date. versions.

Here is a list of the release notes for specific versions so you can see whats been fixed in each version. Although, I can see where one could lose their equilibrium trying to ascertain which is going to work best for you.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes

To help you get centered, here's a basic outline and list of user categories and versions with some known issues or changes.
These things may or may not effect your workflow at all depending on what facets of PT you use regularly.
This outline might help you when choosing how far to update or roll back based on your workflow & preferences:

1. 3rd party plug-in compatibility - Versions from 2022.12 to present might not allow the full use of your plug-in arsenal. Depending on if you are using Rosetta or not. I'm not fully in the know as a Windows user but is a factor.

2. ARA - Known issues from PT 2022.9 -.10 I believe. Can't say exactly, but have seen a lot of posts during that era. Check the 2022.12 release notes and related threads to see if those issues have been fixed with that version.

3. MIDI - Pro Tools 2022.6-.10 - Known issue with MIDI editing (frozen notes) although there is a feasible workaround that enables you to keep working. Fixed in 2022.12 going forward.

4. Mp3 import issues with some versions. I think 2022.10?

As Tweakhead mentioned, it has been a Catch-22 lately in choosing a mainstay version. But you can usually settle based on which minor bug & feasible workaround that you can live with or which new feature(s) you can live without.

Please note that the listed versions aren't entirely unusable and it would just depend on how often you rely on those particular features.
I use 2022.7 with the existence of a couple bugs that don't have much of an impact on my regular workflow in exchange for a system I like like overall.

Thanks for feedback. Im aware of all these option and how to read for hours looking for answers.
This points out exactly what the issue is: there is not a simple page that lists all the known issues with 2023.6
i know it changes and will always have possible addition.
But none of that data helps.
The Stickies section only has 7 issues, out of about a possible 20 or so known bugs.
Im not asking for an official Avid post that would be torn apart cause they missed something. However an Update to all the little land mines that many are experiencing would be nice.
Still feels like BETA release.