How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Default Need help on how to setup a trigger

Ok, here is the problem:
When routing the talkback to an output, it drops everything else in the output 20 dB. (I like that and want to keep that functionality.) But some of the guys running sound have a bad habit of leaving the talkback on (and turn the mic off using a switch on the mic.)

Unfortunately for everyone using in ear monitors, they don't know what happened, so they just turn up their volume and get a BIG surprise when the talkback is finally turned off.

The idea.

When talkback is active, I would like to flash the console lights. But I would like them to keep flashing as long as TB is active. Optionally, if we could delay the flashing for 5 seconds that would be great.

So, TB activates. You say what you need and turn off TB within 5 seconds, no flash.
If TB is active after 5 seconds, the console lights flash until TB is deactivated.

Unfortunately, I really couldn't find a way to do this. I know it CAN be done... I just need a creative way to do it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Avid

Default Re: Need help on how to setup a trigger

Hi Craig,

On the Options >Events page create an event with an action Talkback, On and a trigger Flash Console Lights. The way events work it's only possible to delay the action, not the trigger, so in all cases the console lights will flash when Talkback is on, after whatever the delay specify for the action (even if Talkback is turned off during the delay time). This may not be a bad thing, as it would quickly train folks to turn talkback off and then serve as a friendly reminder thereafter.

Sheldon
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Surely an easier option would be to have the talkback set -up for momentary latch (push to talk) so that there is no danger of it being left on. However, it is easy to set-up an Event where the trigger is the talkback button and the action is flash console lights, all explained in chapter 22 of the manual.

Regards

Roland
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 AM

I tried this.

The problem is that it only flashes the console lights for a couple of seconds. Meaning if the TB were held on, there is still no continual annoyance that would make the sound engineer turn it off.

I might end up switching out mics for something that doesn't have a switch, but chances are, it would end up back there.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Avid

Hi Craig,

Quote:
it only flashes the console lights for a couple of seconds
Yes, this is the behavior for the Flash Console Lights action and it can't be changed to flash indefinitely.

A few choices:
1) Put the Talkback function on a footswitch. Step on to talk, step off to release (talkback only active while switch is depressed). This can be set up easily using an Event.
2) If you're using a Profile console, use one of the GPI output ports to trigger an external light/LED/flashing light/beacon. The VENUE D-Show console doesn't have GPI, but a similar function could be done using an external MIDI-to-Relay box (not ideal, but it would work).
3) Create an event that flashes all of the function (F1, F2, etc.) buttons on the console. Not quite as obvious as the console lights, but these can be made to flash for the during talkback is on.

Sheldon
Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 PM

OK, I had to really think outside of the box, but I did get exactly what I wanted.

When the Talkback is on for more than 5 seconds, the Console Lights flash continuously until the Talkback is turned off.
Less than 5 seconds - No flash.

Two events (and an unused channel) were used:
Event 1:
Trigger:
Talkback ON
Effect:
Mute FX 16 ON Delay 5 seconds
Mute FX 16 OFF Delay 5.3 seconds

Event 2:
Trigger: (AND)
Talkback ON
Mute FX 16 ON
Effect:
Flash Console Lights
Mute FX 16 ON Delay 4 seconds
Mute FX 16 OFF Delay 4.3 seconds

(Any channel could be used, I chose FX 16 because It's not used and it fairly buried.)

Basically, when you hit talkback, 5 seconds later, FX 16 is momentarily muted.
When FX16 is momentarily muted AND talkback is still on, the lights flash.
4 seconds later, FX 16 is again momentarily muted. (See previous line for loop.)

When the talkback is turned OFF, the loop ends.

Instead of FX 16 muting, I could use a GPI in / out (I'm on a Profile), but I would have to build up a cable to connect a GPI output to a GPI input. And we aren't currently using FX 16.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Avid

Very clever. Nicely done!

Sheldon
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Agreed. Very clever. I have thought there was probably a way to work around this. Thanks Craig!