Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 07-09-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Question for FlorianE about X-Mon

Hey FlorianE,

Can you detail the issues you are having with the X-Mon and Dolby equipment? We are considering an Control D purchase and would like to hear any feedback in regards to monitoring surround for post. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 07-10-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Question for FlorianE about X-Mon

Matt

XMon is lacking monitoring Insert/Return points which would be needed to 'embed' the Dolby encode/decode chain within the monitor switcher.
Also, I believe setting monitoring levels at .5 dB steps is too coarse. At 7.1, stepping .5 dB on 8 discrete monitor chains can make much more than .5 dB change in SPL.
Additionally, the cable linking ICON and XMon is a RS422/MIDI/StereoAudio hybrid. Max cable length is limited by MIDI to something around 100ft. If you need more, you need to insert some sort of buffer-line driver. As XMon usually sits near ProTools, depending on the layout of your studio, it can easily happen to take more than 100ft from PT to the mixing aerea.

But XMon is not a buy/don't buy issue. We simply didn't connect it (ICON won't mind) and use our old, by now somewhat outdated (because analog only) Magtrax12 switcher. It gets the HD192 Output and takes care of the rest. Obviously, we are looking around for an alternative switcher or a mod to XMON.

-Florian
Old 07-12-2004, 07:35 AM

Yikes, .5 db! I think that's pretty coarse as well. I hope they can address that. Thanks for the info.

Matt
Old 07-17-2004, 05:10 PM

Hello, Has anyone looked into Harisons Digital Super Mon System I know it is expensive just what we need spend more money. Too Bad Otari never moved foward on Pic Mix to make it digital anouther oustanding audio company that did not see the future
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 PM

Hi Florian,

We're new to this Dolby encoding/decoding thing, so I hope u can bear with me. I thought that simply sending out the 8 channels of audio via the Alt Outputs of XMon to the Dolby encoder would be sufficient? The decoder's output will then be connected to XMon's Surround Input for us to hear on the speakers.

Won't that work?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:29 AM

Sorry to answer so late. Holidays.

Should work, of course.
But is not flexible.
As far as I can see, you'd have to repatch for different working modes.
Like A/B monitoring when you record stems.
Or quick-checking for LCRS-compatibility.
And what about the different monitoring levels?
Or using any other than ICON's meters?

Florian