Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Default 2008 Harpertown quad 3.0 to 2010 Westmere quad 2.4???

Hi there,

I have a 2008 Harpertown MacPro (Harpertown Xeon 3.0 X5472), 2 x quad core processor, working with my HD3 accel system.
The computer works verry well and is solid, it can take a lot of precessing.

I could change this computer for a 2010 Westmere (Xeon 2.4ghz), 2 x quand core. Would i gain some "native" processing power even if processors are slower?
I know speed is not the only thing when it comes to processor, but if someone here knows these two computers, i would like to have your opinion on this.

By the way, i want to make the move in order to upgrade to HDX in a near future.

Thanks!

Luc
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Default Re: 2008 Harpertown quad 3.0 to 2010 Westmere quad 2.4???

hey dude , i was in the same boat - i had a 2008 harper-town - Quad 2.8 Mac pro , and i wanted to go HDX - so i bought a new 2X2.4 2010 west-mere Mac Pro and sold my old Harper-town.
before upgrading to the HDX i had a week to try out My old HD3 accel system on the new Mac - and i there was no doubt that the i had much more native power ....
i know that your harper-town has 2 processors , but the 2010 mac pro's are faster due to the faster Ram chips an better Processor , you can check www.everymac.com to see exactly both machines and compare them.

i can vow - however that now with the HDX card on the new Mac pro everything works much better and snappier - and i swear that even the native side works better since i went HDX

if you are interested in going HDX in the very near future - you would rather get the current West mere Machines , cause once the 2013 new designed Mac pro's are your harper town would lose 50% of it's current worth (which is already not that high....) and although - i am a mac lover - i never take any new machines first generation ....i always wait at least a year before upgrading to a newer technology - cause i don't wanna be anyone's beta tester...that is the reason i took a "new 2010" Mac pro a month ago...instead of waiting for the new ones.
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Re: 2008 Harpertown quad 3.0 to 2010 Westmere quad 2.4???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
hey dude , i was in the same boat - i had a 2008 harper-town - Quad 2.8 Mac pro , and i wanted to go HDX - so i bought a new 2X2.4 2010 west-mere Mac Pro and sold my old Harper-town.
before upgrading to the HDX i had a week to try out My old HD3 accel system on the new Mac - and i there was no doubt that the i had much more native power ....
i know that your harper-town has 2 processors , but the 2010 mac pro's are faster due to the faster Ram chips an better Processor , you can check www.everymac.com to see exactly both machines and compare them.

i can vow - however that now with the HDX card on the new Mac pro everything works much better and snappier - and i swear that even the native side works better since i went HDX

if you are interested in going HDX in the very near future - you would rather get the current West mere Machines , cause once the 2013 new designed Mac pro's are your harper town would lose 50% of it's current worth (which is already not that high....) and although - i am a mac lover - i never take any new machines first generation ....i always wait at least a year before upgrading to a newer technology - cause i don't wanna be anyone's beta tester...that is the reason i took a "new 2010" Mac pro a month ago...instead of waiting for the new ones.
Hi Ilulilu,

Thanks for the info and the links, verry good information!

Cheers,

Luc