Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2015, 10:35 AM

Default Can ProTools First open ProTools Express Files?

I bought an M-Audio M-Track plus that I recorded with for the last year (with ProTools Express). The machine broke down within the manufactureres warranty period. I was sent a replacement device which is a newer model and happens to run with ProTools First as opposed to Pro Tools Express. I was able to download Protools First but I cannot seem to open any of my previous files (created in protools express) in the new program. Will I be able to access these files? I've got just under a years' worth or recording in there including lots of work I was doing on a new album. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!AAHhhhhhhhh!!!!!!: eek:: eek:
Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can ProTools First open ProTools Express Files?

Hello AboutToLoseIt,

Standard Pro Tools session file to work on, can I use Pro Tools | First for working on this session?
A) No. You cannot import or export a Pro Tools session file with associated media with Pro Tools | First. You can import or export audio files. Once Cloud Collaboration becomes available you will be able to collaborate online with other Pro Tools 12, Pro Tools | HD 12, or even with other Pro Tools | First users. You will be able to collaborate with their projects and they will be able to collaborate with your projects. You could however sign up for a 30-day trial of Pro Tools that would allow you to open your friend’s session file but you would need to purchase an iLok USB key to run the trial.

Regards,
RC
Old 12-17-2015, 02:56 PM

I have a similar question that was sort of answered when you answered the original post. My question is this: I have Pro Tools First, my friend has Pro Tools 9. I would like to mix my music and then have him master it. Is it going to be possible to use older versions of PT with that online collaboration that you mentioned above?

Thanks,
Julez
Old 12-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julezrap View Post
I have a similar question that was sort of answered when you answered the original post. My question is this: I have Pro Tools First, my friend has Pro Tools 9. I would like to mix my music and then have him master it. Is it going to be possible to use older versions of PT with that online collaboration that you mentioned above?

Thanks,
Julez
One of the goals of Pro Tools First was supposedly collaboration, why would you expect it to be able to interoperate with Pro Tools sessions? (he asks sarcastically....).

Unfortunately this is not doable today. Who knows what Avid will do in future versions of Pro Tools. If Avid added online collaboration/compatibility with Pro Tools First online sessions to Pro Tools, it will likely be in the latest/then current release. Pro Tools 9 won't see any changes. It would make much more sense to me to just read/write actual sessions from First, I have the feeling that will never happen. First is so crippled I'd suggest you think about giving up on it and go Pro Tools or use another DAW.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Send him a stereo bounce, he can master that. This is how it's usually done.