Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-31-2019, 06:48 AM

Default Which mac OS for PT 2019.5?

I'm curious what other people are experiencing with the latest version of Pro Tools and if it seems to work best on any particular OS. I'm currently on Sierra. I figured it Mojave would be best since it's the latest and PT officially supports it but when I updated to Mojave and 2019.5, Pro Tools basically wouldn't work. I was getting crazy delays, freezing/crashing (with a weird stuck audio loop), and basically had to go to the highest buffer to do anything.

So I went back to Sierra and 2019.5 seems to be working pretty well. Should I try High Sierra? Should I go back to Mojave and troubleshoot and try and fix whatever was going on? Curious if people have gone through this and found an OS that feels the most stable/speedy. (I know "feels" is pretty subjective but unfortunately that's what I feel like I have to go on with latest PT releases sometimes). Thanks for your help!

(I have a Mac Trash Can with 32gb of RAM, HD | Native, and an Omni)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Which mac OS for PT2019.5??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markrosoft View Post
freezing/crashing (with a weird stuck audio loop))
With macOS Mojave I had the same issue (weird stuck audio loop) but performance got better after I disabled multi-threading, so instead of 24 cores my system sees only the real 12 cores of my Mac Pro (trashcan) and Pro Tools seems to behave much better (weird audio loop temp freeze went away) -> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210108
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 AM

And do you think that causes better performance than leaving the viritual cores and using a previous OS? (Are are you on a new computer and stuck with Mojave??)

I'm only rocking a 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5....
Old 05-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
And do you think that causes better performance than leaving the viritual cores and using a previous OS? (Are are you on a new computer and stuck with Mojave??)
With the virtual cores I got the temporary freezes audio-stuck-loop. It wouldn't crash but it would stop everything until the audio-stuck-loop was gone. Without the virtual cores I don't get the freezes audio-stuck-loop anymore (like never). Running a Mac Pro 2013 (trashcan) with 12 cores 2.7 Ghz on macOS Mojave (^_^)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Sorry - I'll restate my question: Do you think your current setup is better than running a previous OS?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Do you think your current setup is better than running a previous OS?
Ah - if your performance is better with a previous OS then stay with what works for you Guess I was explaining my personal experience since I was already running Mojave and I also experienced the sound-freeze-loop thingy (mostly when tracking) and disabling hyper-threading fixed it. But if you want to keep all your virtual-cores it may be better to stay with previous macOS
Old 05-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonica View Post
With macOS Mojave I had the same issue (weird stuck audio loop) but performance got better after I disabled multi-threading, so instead of 24 cores my system sees only the real 12 cores of my Mac Pro (trashcan) and Pro Tools seems to behave much better (weird audio loop temp freeze went away) -> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210108
Those real cores with hypertheading disabled are twice as powerful as the pseudo cores you get with hypertheading on. Can’t get something fer’ nothing!
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 05-31-2019, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Which mac OS for PT 2019.5?

Usually all sotware, OS especially, gets bloated over the years so in theory the most efficient OS is the oldest your hardware and software can support together.

This is especially true with Mojave as you really need to pay attention to GPU requirements before you decide it's a good idea.

Of course, there are certain benefits when app such as PT 2019.5 has clearly been finalised with Mojave in mind but your hardware needs to be up for it.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm curious what other people are experiencing with the latest version of Pro Tools and if it seems to work best on any particular OS. I'm currently on Sierra. I figured it Mojave would be best since it's the latest and PT officially supports it but when I updated to Mojave and 2019.5, Pro Tools basically wouldn't work. I was getting crazy delays, freezing/crashing (with a weird stuck audio loop), and basically had to go to the highest buffer to do anything.

So I went back to Sierra and 2019.5 seems to be working pretty well. Should I try High Sierra? Should I go back to Mojave and troubleshoot and try and fix whatever was going on? Curious if people have gone through this and found an OS that feels the most stable/speedy. (I know "feels" is pretty subjective but unfortunately that's what I feel like I have to go on with latest PT releases sometimes). Thanks for your help!

I have a 2015 rMBP i7/16Gb/512Gb flash running high Sierra and PT. 2019.5, it’s Okay, better than 2018.12. Now yesterday I had a day to screw around, so I took my new PC, i9 9900K/64Gb/18Tb and out of that 18Tb of storage I had a basically un-used 1Tb NMVe drive. I got a wild hair to put MacOS Mojave on it. It was a mild PITA, but nothing like it was before 10.14.5 came out.

This thing screams with Pro Tools 2019.5 even using the USB 2.0 connection on an Antelope Zen Studio+ at 32 buffer (I have had “Zero” success with Antelope Thunderbolt with off-label usage of OSX). I have my HD Native Thunderbolt hooked up and it appears to be working fine, but my Omni is in a rack in another room and I didn’t want to deal with it. Anyhow I loaded a 20 track session I had on a thumb drive, mostly stereo tracks and a few plugins. I had to squint to see the CPU usage, average 1%, spiking to 2%, virtually nothing on the 16 individual threads. I do music mostly and a little MIDI stuff that usually ends up on Cubase Pro 9.5 ‘cause my friend in Nashville uses Cubase. This thing is by far the last rig I thing I’ll ever need (but you know what “Phallic Envy” is like when it comes to this stuff).

I’ve been downloading/loading it with plugins and VI sample libraries since last night. If the record latencies turn out to be good using HD Native Thundbolt and it holds up to being pounded by my plugin/VI assault I’m gonna delete Win 10 Pro off this machine and covert the whole 18Tb of storage to APFS. I’ve had some security issues with Microsoft/Google products lately that even though I’ve been a “Microsoft Guy” for over 30+ years, I see nothing but Apple in my future now.

I think Mojave is the thing going forward with Pro Tools and if they can actually improve this with future updates we’re gonna be golden. Does this answer your question?
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 06-01-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:

How did you 'update' to Mojave? The Apple Way aka in-situ where you install over the top of an existing OSX or the Right Way and do a clean install? I'm guessing you did it the Apple Way and no matter the OSX versions involved can lead to all kinds of weirdness.

QAPLA!