Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 AM

Default Re: How's 12.4 running for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
what?
For a 2009 computer, Mountain Lion will perform better than Mave**** or Yose****...
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 AM

My iMac on 10.9 has trouble with PT 12.4 when I have the audio running and I am making fine adjustments...I can crash it every time so I really have to be careful. Any adjustment from track volume, plug in changes, bus adjustments. This is my only problem.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
My iMac on 10.9 has trouble with PT 12.4 when I have the audio running and I am making fine adjustments..
Nice Guitar work, "I'll say my goodbyes"
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 PM

Update (This thread made me dig a bit deeper, thank you all)

Mac-Sapphire HD-7950 with 3 monitors
OS 10.10.5 PT's HD10.4

I switched Video monitor cables to 1 DVI, 1 HDMI (Main), 1 Mini Display Port (Dual-link adaptor)

My stuttering graphic issues have left the building.

Previously using 2 Mini display ports and DVI with same setup = Graphic stutter.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM

2011 iMac i5 2.7Ghz 12GB RAM OS 10.9.5

No tracking yet. I'm in mix mode big time this month. Don't use VI's other than occasional EZ Drummer.

Plugins from Waves, Slate, AVID, Eventide, IK, Brainworx Celemony & Antares. Everything's working well. No issues. Maybe one crash over the last week or so of work.

Commit and Freeze seem to work well. Big time savers, and I'm just scratching the surface with the current project. Amazed AVID was able to get by for as many years as they did while all the other DAW's implemented this workflow!

I work a lot on HD outside the home studio, so the biggest thing for me is Disc Cache. That's helped me performance wise as well as anything that's been added. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of VCA's too

Sorry for all those with the graphic issues. If you can get past that, this could be a fantastic upgrade....

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 PM

My first attempt to freeze tracks wasn't great. I hit freeze up the first insert (Reel Tape Saturation) on some drum tracks, it worked, PT didn't crash, but instead of sticking to the length of the regions in the tracks it rendered frozen regions longer than the originals and in random durations. A few much longer, most just a bit longer.

Pro Tools 12.4 HD Native, OS 10.8.5
Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagodutra View Post
My first attempt to freeze tracks wasn't great. I hit freeze up the first insert (Reel Tape Saturation) on some drum tracks, it worked, PT didn't crash, but instead of sticking to the length of the regions in the tracks it rendered frozen regions longer than the originals and in random durations. A few much longer, most just a bit longer.

Pro Tools 12.4 HD Native, OS 10.8.5
That makes sense if you're using the Noise parameter of that plug-in. Audio is rendered(frozen) starting when audio is detected at the track input. Audio stops rendering when the audio signal drops below –144 dBFS for 60 seconds.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 PM

I just attempted an OMF import in 12.4 and after it got through the first track it decided to stop copying audio files into the session. Figured I'd close and reopen the session to see if it would make another attempt at finding the audio in the OMF, and as I looked at the Task Manager, sure enough, it started bringing in more audio. However, this new audio all had some kind of constant waveform graphic and complete silence for audio.

Not good.

At that point I decided to blow away everything Pro Tools had imported from the OMF and try importing session data from scratch. This time, it didn't even get as far as it did the time before. On the initial progress bar for when it's gathering audio files (the one in the dialog box), Pro Tools stopped responding and gave me the beachball of death.

I'll try this at work tomorrow on a PT10 system just to see if it's possibly a bad OMF, but it didn't look bad.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 PM

I'm running 12.4 on an ancient 3,1 mac pro. The freeze tracks has so far worked perfect. FWIW I'm still on mountain lion. I have yosemite and el crapitan but ML just works and I'm thinking all those goofy extra "features" the newer OS's have just slow down and overcomplicate

For some one with limited horsepower 12.4 has been a huge game changer: Create powerful tracks, freeze em and move on
Old 01-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
That makes sense if you're using the Noise parameter of that plug-in. Audio is rendered(frozen) starting when audio is detected at the track input. Audio stops rendering when the audio signal drops below –144 dBFS for 60 seconds.

Shane
Yeah, didn't think about that noise first, but checked that behavior again and it still happens in many plugins. Didn't check all my plugins, but pretty much every plugin I tried behaved the same way. Funny to see how the Avid plugins behave worse than 3rd party (Massey, Goodhertz, Soundtoys). 3rd party ones only changed length by a few samples or milliseconds. Which makes sense because freezing assumes you're no longer editing regions and depending on the processor the sound may still ring a little bit (or a lot). The Reel Tape and a few other Avid ones aren't like that, they generate much longer regions and it's random, some with a very long increase, some very short, even though all of the original regions were the same length.

Back with the RTS, I actually did the opposite on another test and increased the noise to the highest level and it not only gave me a short burst right after finishing the rendering process, but also rendered about 1 minute of pure noise after the original regions had ended.

A few details though: if I hit Cmd+A to select the whole region (original length+1min) it only selects the original length. If I use the Grabber tool though it considers the longer frozen region (as well as using tab to region). And this time the frozen regions weren't randomly stretched, they all had the same length. But the noise did start with a delay inside the resulting frozen regions, with one region (out of 7) starting at a different time. ADC was ON. With ADC OFF there was no delay between frozen regions.