Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:56 PM

Default looping and recording on separate tracks?

Is it possible to loop playback on one track (i.e. a music bed) while simultaneously recording to another track? Seems like it should be possible but it's not obvious to me.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM

Default Re: looping and recording on separate tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyofan View Post
Is it possible to loop playback on one track (i.e. a music bed) while simultaneously recording to another track? Seems like it should be possible but it's not obvious to me.
actually your question ain't clear for me... but, from what i understood, isn't it enough that you loop the region you wish to keep as music bed and record on the other track...?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Yes, that's what I'm trying do. Loop the music on one track while simultaneously recording to another track.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 AM

What you are trying to do is possible .
You want to loop a recording pass and have it record all the loops and pass,s you make ,

So heres what you need to do
launch a pro tools session
go into , SETUP then PREFERENCES then OPERATION
now select AUTOMATICALLY CREAT NEW PLAYLISTS WHEN LOOP RECORDING .

This makes a new "PLAY LIST" for each recording pass you do
They all stay on the same track and you might not see them all and think its not working. So now you have to do this to see your playlists

GO TO THE EDIT WINDOW
in the box where it says wave form , click on it.
now choose , playlists

Everytime you make a recording pass it will create a new playlist that s a completely new wave form in addition to every other .

Its a bit scary the first time because it seems like your recording over your last take , DONT WORRY YOU ARE NOT but it does seem that way.

put PT in loop record highlight a short 5 second part and go through a few times and you will see the playlists grow .

This is how tracks are comped together. If you have parts that suck from each pass , no problem . erase the useless regions from each playlist but only the parts that suck , keep the good spots. remember each play list is different so don't edit them the same the are different tracks.
To hear a specific track you need to solo that individual track in the playlist.
>this is the track you will hear . If you don't solo you will only ever here the big wave form track or first waveform.
So now you have all that.highlight a range in a play list with the selector tool, Now use the UP ARROW that became visible after you made a selection.
When you press the up arrow it takes all that selected audio and moves (paist,s) on to the main track. THE BIG WAVE FORM .
repeat this process until you sound like a rockstar.
This is how MTV still has talent, or so it seems .

Easy to do best feature ever but it seems to coinsidently coincide with the disappearance of actual talented musicians from the billboard charts .
I did say coincidently although it really isn't is it ,
NOW YOU CAN SOUND PERFECT TO just ad a pinch of elastic audio and your in time to .
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Well said^^^ and remember, when you are in loop-record, you will hear the rest of the tracks playing back(which gives you exactly what you are looking for). If you wish to loop record over only a single playing track, just solo that and your new(recording) track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM

Im wondering if you mean can you have a playback "loop" and record one long track as it loops over and over or If you mean you just want to be able to have as many "takes" as you want and each pass is a separate file?

Its easy to loop record with takes using the Play Lists feature as explained... an amazing feature I have loved for years...

However if you want to loop a segment and record one long track to the loop you would have to copy and paste the segment in a track as long as you need it to play, or you can (after loop recording with playlists) throw Pro Tools in Shuffle mode, make sure you have the first pass select on the track and drag the takes out of your regions bin in order to that track and they will all line up as one long track.

Sometimes I've used a segment looping of a bass or drums to create say a song Ive written on guitar... Its better for me than using a click, unless I have to write in tempo changes, but a lot of music is simply written at one tempo....so I wasn't sure what you meant.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 AM

Yeah, ideally I would loop the music bed (i.e. 30 sec) on one track while recording (continuously) a number of takes to a separate track. But I think I can accomplish that, more or less, from what I've read here, either through loop recording or by copying/pasting the music bed a number of times.
Thanks much...I'll try all that and report back soon!