Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Default PT9 Saves a Session Copy in my Mac HD after I move a Session

I'm having a weird problem with PT9. I will try to describe the symptoms, hopefully someone knows or has seen what I'm experiencing. I will mention I have PT training from some time at an audio school and about 7 years experience with the software.

I'm a bit of song writer, so most of my personal sessions start on the desktop while I begin to build them into worthwhile projects. Once the session has taken shape and matured a bit (usually 10-15 tracks with plugs and a bunch of edits and playlists... not important really) I move it to folder alongside similar musical ideas. This has been my method of file management with PT for years.

When I updated to PT 9 something weird started. After I move the session to a sub folder on my "Audio drive", when I reopen the session (either from the recent sessions drop down or directly from the file) a folder of the same name appears directly under the Macintosh HD drive (next to "Applications" and "Users"). This folder is empty. If I record new audio or generate fade files folders appear in this bogus session directory they fill up here instead of the location from which I opened the session.

The problem is this leads to files being missing when I try to play back the session or worse, errors when I try to save a session that can no longer see where an audio file in the session is! My work around is that I move those misplaced files to the correct directory and trash the bogus session folder - but it comes back the next time I open the session.... To confound things, tonight I did what I just described but PT refused to save changes to a session because one of these errant audio files was missing... so I went back to the trashed folder and copied it again... but it was already in the correct place and I was asked to overwrite it.

Sorry for the long post and thanks if you actually got through it. This is driving me crazy and I need some advise. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Brian
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM

Default Re: PT9 Saves a Session Copy in my Mac HD after I move a Session

Brian,

I'm not sure why the behavior has changed just with PT 9 on your system, but in general, you don't want to move folders or files at the root level in the Finder. PT has no way of knowing you moved them.
I would guess, PT defaults to your Mac HD as the record destination because it can't find the original record allocation path.

You can try changing the record path (Setup/Disk Allocation) or probably better yet, save a copy of your session from within PT file menu, and copy all audio files.
That'll move it self-contained, PT will know where the files are (or be able to link to them easily upon reopening) and keep your record allocation in the root folder of the session.

Also, it's not the best idea to record to your "Desktop", that is really just a directory in the user folder on your system drive.

These are some basic concepts, so hopefully it won't come across as too rudimentary for you ...just trying to help.

kasper
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Good advise about not recording to the desktop, its just so easy to leave them there until they become worthwhile and not catalog all the junky dumb stuff that doesn't go anywhere. I have an audio drive to boost performance so as soon as I get "Increase Buffer Size" errors I move the session.

I did what you said about disk allocation, some tracks were set to Mac HD and I switched them. Now the problem seems to be fixed - thank you very much.

By the way, I hope the comment about PT experience wasn't snotty. I really need all the help I can get. I just didn't want anyone to hesitate to give me complicated advise or explanations that applied - or waste time writing some of the simpler things that they otherwise might not have anticipated that I would have already experimented with.

Either way you helped me out.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM

best to set the system drive to Transfer only in the Workspace
I set a rig up for a song writer
He recorded to the Desk Top after I told him not to
He overwrote the System Folder one day
Had to reformat the drive losing everything to get the rig back up

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
I did what you said about disk allocation, some tracks were set to Mac HD and I switched them. Now the problem seems to be fixed - thank you very much.
By the way, I hope the comment about PT experience wasn't snotty.

It's all good.

Glad to help.

Cheers!
kasper