Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2016, 12:18 PM

Default Assigning a static ip to Dock

Hey guys,

I'm testing the Dock out for a buddy of mine and I was wondering if anyone
had heard about assigning a static ip to the Dock. I have my Artist Mix and Control set up to use static ips because they seem more stable in keeping a connection to the mac. Does anyone know how/if this is doable? I don't see anything in the documentation so I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if this was an option.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Avid

Default Re: Assigning a static ip to Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankfile View Post
Hey guys,

I'm testing the Dock out for a buddy of mine and I was wondering if anyone
had heard about assigning a static ip to the Dock. I have my Artist Mix and Control set up to use static ips because they seem more stable in keeping a connection to the mac. Does anyone know how/if this is doable? I don't see anything in the documentation so I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice if this was an option.

Thanks!
Currently, no there isn't. But, we may add it in the future. We've made lots of improvements to connectivity so DHCP and Link-Local (direct connect) should be much more reliable than they have been in past releases. Especially, with EuControl 3.4.
Berkeley, CA
Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 PM

wait, what? no static IP option? It's a pretty big ASSuption for AVID to think we are all hooked into a router that hands out IP addresses. I have 2 NIC's in my PC one is connected to my router for network file sharing and the other is connected to a small hub with the rest of my EUCON devices. Static IP's makes that so much easier. I guess now I'm forced to run a DHCP service on my PC. Great move AVID.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
wait, what? no static IP option? It's a pretty big ASSuption for AVID to think we are all hooked into a router that hands out IP addresses. I have 2 NIC's in my PC one is connected to my router for network file sharing and the other is connected to a small hub with the rest of my EUCON devices. Static IP's makes that so much easier. I guess now I'm forced to run a DHCP service on my PC. Great move AVID.
Are you actually using a hub and not a switch for EUCON surfaces? Have you tried setting that NIC to DHCP on OS side with hub>Dock connected. I'm not understanding why you need static IP and why it's easier in your setup. Thanks.
Berkeley, CA
Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM

Hey Kyle, Yes. I currently have a small 5 port switch connecting all of my Eucon surfaces together. 2 Artist Mixes and the PT Dock which came yesterday. One of the NIC's in my PC is connected to the Eucon switch and the other is connected to my home router that goes out to the internet. The reason for this is to keep the Eucon traffic isolated. My home internet router is handing out DHCP for those devices but the small 5 port switch handling my Eucon stuff does not do DHCP. With nothing handing out DHCP address on my Eucon network I had no problem assigning my 2 mixes (and then Transport) to static IP's and it worked perfectly. My workaround now was to install a small DHCP server app on my computer and bind it to the Eucon NIC. Now those devices grab IP's from that. It was just an extra step but its working. Am I over complicating things?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
Hey Kyle, Yes. I currently have a small 5 port switch connecting all of my Eucon surfaces together. 2 Artist Mixes and the PT Dock which came yesterday. One of the NIC's in my PC is connected to the Eucon switch and the other is connected to my home router that goes out to the internet. The reason for this is to keep the Eucon traffic isolated. My home internet router is handing out DHCP for those devices but the small 5 port switch handling my Eucon stuff does not do DHCP. With nothing handing out DHCP address on my Eucon network I had no problem assigning my 2 mixes (and then Transport) to static IP's and it worked perfectly. My workaround now was to install a small DHCP server app on my computer and bind it to the Eucon NIC. Now those devices grab IP's from that. It was just an extra step but its working. Am I over complicating things?
Hey Anthony,

Yep, I think you might overcomplicating things. Will you try this:

1. Disable DHCP Server app
2. In Windows Control Panel, configure your "EUCON" NIC for DHCP. You should actually see a 169.254... address get assigned here for link-local
3. Set Artist Mix units to DHCP (more info here and here)
4. Reboot Surfaces & PC
5. EuControl should auto-launch and see the surfaces

Let me know.
Berkeley, CA
Old 07-21-2016, 04:47 PM

Hi Kyle, ah! I just disabled the DHCP server app and set everything to DHCP. the Eucon software found everything. I guess it just works because they all grab the default 169 range? Thanks for your help on this!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 AM

Hi

I do have some problem with DHCP, I would rather have it on static IP

The reason is everytime I restart the computer, the docks last two IP fields changes (169.254.XXX.XXX). So to be able to use the dock, I need to change the 3rd field of the iPads IP everytime I restart the computer.

I'm using a thunderbolt-ethernet adapter to connect the dock, and I create a wifi point only for the iPad, so there is no other equipments on this network.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 PM

It might also be enough to set the iPad to a static IP(mine is because that's the only way I could get it to connect to my Behringer X32 system for live shows I work)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave