Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Default IK Custom Shop - gear credits and pricing changes

FYI, just received this in an IK Multimedia e-mail:

Custom Shop Gear Credits and pricing changes
IK Online Store and Custom Shop experience enhancements

Heads up! There are some changes on the way in March that may affect you if you currently hold Gear Credits. To better streamline the IK online store and Custom Shop experiences, we will be reshuffling our pricing across the board and also readjusting the value of Gear Credits in the process. As a result of this, certain products will require more Gear Credits starting in March. This message is a courtesy to you, to let you know that you still have some time to take advantage of the prices now and spend your credits before the changes go into effect.

Hopefully , Peter from IK will drop in to give us a clue as to what this means. Changing the 'exchange rate' after pushing credits in the past (e.g. during sales - some have bought extra credits and deposited these in the bank of IK maybe for use with new products in future) i.e. so that $50 worth of 'old' credits are now worth fewer $ would be very dodgy ... but maybe it's something more innocuous e.g. how they apply VAT/sales tax or something?
Old 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM
IK Multimedia

Default Re: IK Custom Shop - gear credits and pricing changes

There really isn't much more to add other than what is stated. There are pricing changes that we decided people with Gear Credits should be made aware of. Those changes will be clear in March when they are put in place. Gear Credits will still provide an exceptional value for exceptional gear models.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
There really isn't much more to add other than what is stated. There are pricing changes that we decided people with Gear Credits should be made aware of. Those changes will be clear in March when they are put in place. Gear Credits will still provide an exceptional value for exceptional gear models.
Considering the reaction on this board to Avid's recent changes, you might want to line up a source for either Valium in "case lots" or Jack Daniels by-the-barrel...or you could just move to Denver...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-17-2015, 06:09 AM
IK Multimedia

:) We're not implementing a subscription plan or anything like that - we're adjusting pricing in a logical manner so it should be smooth sailing.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 AM

Peter, I never got this email. I have about 50 credits. Should I be concerned?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:38 AM
IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Not now that you know. Do you get our regular newsletters? You might not be subscribed if you don't.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Ive got 350 credits ..., along with all your complete studio and amplitube catalog ..., and I dont want to buy anything starting with an "i"

..., should I also be concerned ?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 PM

Peter - assuming there's a valid reason why you would not give users holding credits more advance information so that we may take appropriate action, could you at least say if credits will be devalued ... or if Custom Shop credit prices will increase?

I have evertything I want (especially after the group buy) so my 'spare' credits would normally be put to use on new/future products.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:38 AM
IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Peter - assuming there's a valid reason why you would not give users holding credits more advance information so that we may take appropriate action, could you at least say if credits will be devalued ... or if Custom Shop credit prices will increase?

I have evertything I want (especially after the group buy) so my 'spare' credits would normally be put to use on new/future products.
Pricing changes occur all the time, without notice in most cases. IK decided to give notice to customers with Gear Credits as a courtesy in case they were currently considering any purchases currently. The email is as specific as possible at this time. There will be another email sent but specifics of the restructuring will be revealed upon implementation.

If one already has what they want from Custom Shop and still have credits, there should be no impact as the pricing of new models will be set at time of release of course and we're not taking away your Gear Credits and they can still be applied to the new gear.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
Pricing changes occur all the time, without notice in most cases. IK decided to give notice to customers with Gear Credits as a courtesy in case they were currently considering any purchases currently. The email is as specific as possible at this time. There will be another email sent but specifics of the restructuring will be revealed upon implementation.

If one already has what they want from Custom Shop and still have credits, there should be no impact as the pricing of new models will be set at time of release of course and we're not taking away your Gear Credits and they can still be applied to the new gear.
Thanks Peter - just wanted to rule out likelihood of something more dramatic involving losing value of previously purchased credits ... as you say, price changes happen with real money too and the only issue for these customers is we have already converted into IK$. Hopefully, you'll be back here discussing exciting new products soon :)