Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Putting together an LE based post system, how do these specs look to you?

Your G5 will not (Completely) choke under 8. It will work but not great. 5 months or so ago I removed my G5's from my dual HD6 Accel Systems and went with Mac Pro Intel 8 Core's and never looked back. I would suggest you get a new computer before anything else.
You might start out with the G5 and see if the business is there. If it is, immediately upgrade your computer.
Also on your list of things to do:
Ditch the Mackie 824's. There are much better speakers out there. I know some of you on "The DUC" use them but I'm not a fan. You have a very basic equipment list to do very basic mixing. If you can keep the place busy and making a profit then reinvest your money and upgrade.
Good Luck,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Putting together an LE based post system, how do these specs look to you?

Quote:
I plan on using some heavy drapes along the wall that has some windows, I will have a couch (futon actually! this is still a guest bedroom when people come over) behind me in the 'prodcuer postion' I will treat the wall directly above that with some of the higher end auralex wall tiles or some other diffusion materials. I mean this is for my home, so I dont want to go too nuts with treating the room and what not, this is for any project that does not have the money to come in to my studio, mostly mix by remote stuff where I get files over the internet.
There is no indication of proper bass trapping in the above description.
That will get you into major trouble.

Additionally Marti's comment on the 824s are correct, the bass on those added to the lack of bass trapping will give you a troublesome room.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 PM

I appreciate all the feedback,

I must mention that I run the audio department of a fairly large post facility, all Pro Tools HD, 5.1 etc. etc.

This is strictly for use at home really, there are certain times when I have personal clients who can not afford to mix at my facility, and also there is just overflow work that would be great if I could handle the edit, sound design and pre mix at my home before bringing it into a final mix.

I own all the equipment listed already besides the 003 and complete production toolkit. I feel that the G5 is the weakest link which seems to be the general consensus here.

Speakers, and room treatment, while obviously a concern, are not that big a deal to me considering what I actually intend to do in the room.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I must mention that I run the audio department of a fairly large post facility, all Pro Tools HD, 5.1 etc. etc.

This is strictly for use at home really, there are certain times when I have personal clients who can not afford to mix at my facility, and also there is just overflow work that would be great if I could handle the edit, sound design and pre mix at my home before bringing it into a final mix.
Now, in the first post you stated you wanted to build a post audio mix bay, not an edit premix room.
Why didn't you state this in the beginning? The replies might have been different as the facts would have been clear and up front.

And, you run the audio dept of large post facility???
Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
I must mention that I run the audio department of a fairly large post facility...This is strictly for use at home really, there are certain times when I have personal clients who can not afford to mix at my facility,
All I can offer there is: don't undercut yourself.
Won't open a can here...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah, bump on the PC upgrade. You'll want to be handling larger sessions and the Intel is the way to go. Plus the internal 4 drive bay means you can have a drive dedicated each to - Session, Video, FX/samples etc.

I'd either invest in a second video card or go Blackmagic Pcie for video and skip the canopus.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM

Hey, even if you work in a big place, it's good to be able to do some work at home once in a while!

And as if by magic, after my moan about PPMulator, it got updated just today!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
I appreciate all the feedback,

I own all the equipment listed already besides the 003 and complete production toolkit. I feel that the G5 is the weakest link which seems to be the general consensus here.

Speakers, and room treatment, while obviously a concern, are not that big a deal to me considering what I actually intend to do in the room.
Things that would have been good to know BEFORE we started :)...

I ran my "home suite" on a Dual g4 (Yikes!) until 6 months ago, when it finally died and I got an iMac. Basically it's just a place where I could go finish the odd edit and small mix, when I really didn't want to stare at the SAME studio walls for another 8 hours! So you're probably fine with what you've got. However... after waiting for the computer (especially if you're used to the faster ones at the main studio), you'll want to upgrade fast!

And as Floydio said, watch yourself. If you WORK for the big studio, rather than own it, you can find yourself in a WORLD of trouble over conflict of interest... I have a very specific set of things I will work on at home, that has been agreed to and signed off on by the owners.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada