Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Default Need Help Understanding 888 I/O

Hey Friends,

So I am planning on adding a 888 to my HD rig to expand on the I/O for cheaper than a expensive AD/DA converter.

Reading, it seems that I want to make sure I get a 888 with a serial number higher than DH17130 to ensure that I also get the 24 bit option, but looking at eBay, I want to make sure I understand everything.

What is a 888 with a serial number tagged with a "REV"? A couple sellers claim these are "highly desireable", but I can't find information what it means.

Anyone know what the "REV" means and anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks
Jason
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Need Help Understanding 888 I/O

if it has the red triangle with "24" in the 888 logo your good to go

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM

What I/O are you currently using?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Administrator

When the 888/24 I|O was first released, it had 24 bit Analog to Digital converters, and 20 bit DACs (Digital-Analog Converters).

Any 888/24 with a serial number higher than DH17130 or displaying "Rev J" or higher on the external FCC label has 24 bit DACs.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Hey BradLyons,

I currently have two 192 I/O but don't have any high end converters to take advantage of the Digital I/O expansion card, and no money to spend $3000 on one.

Since all my work is at 24/48, I figured the 888 would be a great solution to get the extra outputs via the legacy ports on the 192s.

Thanks Digidesign for the additional info! Much appreciated.

Best
Jason
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 AM

You said you have (2) 192I/O's, but didn't mention that you have the card slots taken with the A/D option---is that correct? How many total ins do you need and how many total outs do you need? I don't see any value to buying 888/24's no matter how cheap they are. There are other converter options that are quite affordable that might work.Please list exactly what you have, what you are trying to do and I'll do my best to advise (as well as others) what might be (and again I'm saying MIGHT) a better route.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Hi Brad

So here is my configuration and needs:

Current Configuration:
192 I/O with Analog In card in expansion port
192 I/O with Digital I/O card in expansion port

All default Analog Out cards are being used
All default Analog In cards being used

Default Digital Outs not being used

Current Needs:
I need at least 32 out (analog), would like more if possible. I don't have a need for more than 16 In's at this point.

When I say "Default" above, I'm talking about the stock cards that come with the 192 from Digi.

Thanks a TON for your help!!
Jason
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM

I see---so you are currently using a 24 input by 16 output analog configuration. I've never liked the 888/24's, even when re-clocked....but if they are cheap enough and audio quality really isn't important (can't imagine that would be the case, though) then sure---an 888/24 would do the trick. But at the same time something like a Presonus DigimaxFS for $600 would do the trick. A big advantage is this is an 8ch micpre that is quite good for the money that is both an 8ch AD and DA interface. SO when connected to the ADAT Optical I/O, you have 8-inputs that you can use with pres...but also 8-outputs that you can use. Sonically, it's actually pretty good...and you'll get a lot more for your money over an 888/24 IMHO. Whatever configuration you have with those 192's, you have a total of 32x32. So let's say you added (2) of these units...that would give you 32-outputs right there. $1200 for 16-outputs no, it's not the cheapest option---but the value is quite good.

Now, an advantage of the 888/24 is it does buy you more physical outputs----but at the same time you could do something like the above for now and then do a 96i/o later. I have a DigimaxLT, the converters and pres are the same....I'm VERY much happy with it. I'll admit, I'm a gear snob---I like quality, I only use quality---I don't use junk, won't use junk, and won't waste my time with bad sound quality. Even my Earthworks mics sound good through this box. I work for a major retailer (one of our Sr. guys here) so I have good access to this stuff. In other words, I think it's a huge bang for the buck!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks! I haven't solidified on a route yet, so am going to check out the Presonus option you suggest.

I'll post back when I "pull the trigger".

Thanks Brad!

Jason
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM

Give Mark a call :)