Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 AM

Default HBO specs and Dolby E

Anyone have the HBO audio specs handy?

For HBO promos, is Dolby E required?

does anybody know if the 2 frame advancement is also necessary when using the Soundcode for Dolby E plugin from Neyrinck? or just 1 frame?
IMDB Credits
Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Re: HBO specs and Dolby E

That is a question for the HBO Post Delivery Exec who your clients are working with! There are a couple in New York. HBO may choose to do their own laybacks, in that case you will only be asked to provide a layback session, where all the mixes and stems are laid out ready for them to open up at their facility.

Earlier this year I delivered something to them. I have only been given specs for their CRAM (Consolidated Re-recorded Audio Master, aka international splits) and a "Quick Reference" for HD video, which does not mention Dolby E advancement. Here is what it says:

• All delivery video masters must have audio on all tracks (or recorded silence).
• Audio must always be 48khz, 20bits on the HDCAM–SR, 24 bits on the DVD-R. Time code must match the master delivered to HBO.
• A contiguous Dolby E bitstream will start 30 seconds before the start of programming and will continue at least 30 seconds after the end of programming.
• Audio channels must be in phase.
• A fully filled M&E is required. The M&E must provide all of the material needed to re-mix the show with another language. Call your HBO Post Delivery Executive to discuss the specifics of your mix.
• HBO requires that most pre-mix and final mix tracks be laid off to DVD-R Consolidated Re-recorded Audio Master (CRAM) to be delivered to HBO. Contact your HBO Post Delivery Executive for the most recent layout.
• Audio LevelsTypically, the most common range is -15 to -27 for "dialnorm" (as in dialogue level). Use the HBO HDCAM–SR High Definition mastering specifications as a technical reference.

I'm certain that Neyrink's Dolby E stream is IN SYNC. It is not delayed 1 frame as you would expect from a hardware encoder.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM

Thank you for the good info! and I realize that's a question for HBO but while I'm waiting to get the specs figured I'd ask on here so I can start planning ahead.
IMDB Credits
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I got these specs too. I thought it was strange that they give such a wide dialnorm range... and don't even say that its the range they want, only that its what is "most common". Pretty loose right?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Loose? That's the way dialnorm was intended to be used!

They make up for that freedom by asking for more deliverables than anyone else on the planet. Does anyone else ask for checker-boarded music tracks?